X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut off time for starting air layers?

Ciao again,

Okay so I make 3 huge airlayer for my 3 cugino's out of my Zio tree at my home. They have been off the tree for few week but Zio tree just continues to grow too big and I am back at square one with over grown. I wonder is there a specific time in zone 5 that AL no work or it can be done until just before frost frost? I believe the weather make trees grown very quick tis year because they all grown 5 times In size. For 3 that receive "Chi-Taila Blanco" how are they doing by the way?

Grazie.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

I can't help you with advice about the air layers, but if you find yourself with too many cuttings when you prune this fall I'm sure I can come up with something to trade.
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

I imagine someone with experience would chime in but I would imagine that a month before frost assuming you have healthy active growth on the tree. Just don't let the roots freeze. Just my guess.
      Don - OH Zone 5b/6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Craven's Craving, Izmir/Iznot, Calderona, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Izbat an Naj, Blava Campenera, Makedonia Dark, Souadi, LSU Jack Lily, Violet Sepor

Comment

The main problem is as the days shorten and the nights cool what would have taken 4-5 weeks in June will take 6-10 weeks. If the plants are growing slow the roots will also. So you would probably be ok doing the layer now but not too much later in the year.
        Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Grazie... Maybe I wait because to make air layer now is too risky because by time is ready we may have first frost and from there then what? So maybe I just make large cutting and save for spring?

Comment

As of Monday my layer from july 9th showed no roots. The tree has been shedding leaves for about three weeks due to hot 98 degrees and dry weather. This is a large White Texas Everbearing with a couple figs still on it. Once the figs are gone I'll start watering it. If it does like last year it will put on a small amount of new growth with shorter days and cooler temps.

If still no roots will wait til spring.
            Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              With that type of heat and 100% no root in layer... Re do it. Make pencil tip size wounds 3 around tree where you layer. Apply clonex and damp soil. Make super air tight in plastic first and then foil around it. With them temps and hormone you should see root In few weeks

• jmaler
              jmaler commented
              Editing a comment
              Mike, i'll give that a try. Thanks

Prego. Worst case layer fail. Wait till dormant time and make cutting. But wound tis small no hurt tree

Comment

Working...
            X