X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Publix Brown Turkey figs for breakfast!!!

Last night we went to "publix" a supermarket store native to the southern states I believe and found those on sale! Two ,one lb boxes for $5.99! The bottom of the boxes was all sticky with honey so I said what the heck and grabbed two. Well 90% of them are awesome, sweet and delicious so I'm going back for more. They also had Mission and kadotas but the BT looked the best.

Nice score Chris!!!!! I've gotten figs from publix when I was in the south working. It's a nice chain of stores.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Thanks Scott. I will get a box of mission too later to see how they taste. Mine are starting to swell.

Comment

Indeed! I scored some today. Kadotas and black missions from our publix. Apparently the kadotas aren't part of the deal, but they put them on the buy 1 get 1 display so they made the exception for me (then promptly changed their display). About 50% of the Kadotas are ready, unfortunately, but 75% of the black missions are ripe. Shame they can't get them locally and more ripe!
        Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Oh cool! The BT are worth the money. Make sure you check the bottom of the boxes for honey goo! The messier the better!
          Last edited by Chrisk; 08-08-2015, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Ah Chris Lil Fig already got two boxes of mission they were tasty also I sliced some and put them on a pepper cracker. Happy Thanks Publix.

Comment

• Chrisk
              Chrisk commented
              Editing a comment
              Ah Lil fig needs to post a few pics here and there lol. How were they?

I'm so bummed right now. No local places have fresh figs so this weekend's trip to a metropolitan area with a wider selection of stores (Trader Joe's, Wegman's, Giant, etc) had me hopeful. Unfortunately, none to be had in all the stores I visited (and I hit quite a few while waiting for the concert to let out...6 hours to kill).
            Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

My local Kroger had some Mission figs. $3.99 for 8oz container. Only a few were ripe. Also had a few that were bone dry, but worth the risk overall.
              Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Try Publix Frank. I'll take another ride there today! My wife and daughter loved them . We had them for breakfast two days in a row . They were very decent too!

Comment

• F. Bennett
                  F. Bennett commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just did a store locator. Closest one is 120 miles away.

• Chrisk
                  Chrisk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oops sorry Frank! They are very common here in GA! I guess you're a bit too far north!

Thank, Frank. Will swing by Kroger this morning and keep my fingers crossed.
                Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• DBJohnson
                  DBJohnson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Got a couple small boxes from Kroger this morning. They had 3 or 4 more boxes but mold was evident in all the rest. Talked to the produce guy and it seems they forgot to put the. Out last week and just set them out yesterday. He hopes to get some other varieties later in the summer.

chris lil fig would post pics if she knew how. Remember I am just learning to color inside the lines of my Know Your Figs coloring book !!!!!

Comment

The only fresh figs I can find in a store is in Giant Eagle. They are labeled "Black Figs" but they look to be Black Mission. Price is $1 each.
                  Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
                  Tony
                  Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

If you like the Brown Turkeys Publix sells, get the Black Missions, they are WAY better. The Kadotas aren't bad either.

Comment

Tony, last summer I found only Brown Turkey figs 'imported' from CA at the local Giant Eagles and at an Italian specialty store - DeLallo's. They were underripe and terrible. And overpriced.
                      Ed
                      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Working...
                      X