X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How short to prune back?

Obviously I no 12ft tall. So I want to harvest all fruit next year with ease. What is good height to fall prune back to to keep trees about 9/10ft tall? Plus maybe tis way I no have to burry and can just cover in winter.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

IMO, it depends on;
    1. The growth rate of your tree
    2. The desired height of the pruned tree
    3. The desired maximum height of your winter cover and insulation.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	max  pruned height diag.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	33692
    In the attached diagram the total height C (9') can be maintained with branch growth B (5') and a winterized scaffold of A (4');
    C = A + B

Good Luck
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

But still under soil freeze line sì?

Comment

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        Please explain 'But still under soil freeze line'...
        Thanks.

I mean at tis height I only have to "wrap up" no dig up and burry under soil under freeze line correct. ?

Comment

Yes, The "Winter Insulation and Cover" (Wrap) is all that would be needed above ground around the "Permanent Scaffold or Main Branches" .
        I insulate and cover with Pine Wood Shavings, but any of the usual materials will work. It also helps to deep mulch to help insulate and protect the roots in winter.

I've never buried a fig tree for winter protection but most are never buried below the actual "Freeze Line" for their specific locations since its usually several feet deep.
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

At what median constant low temperature do you begin to consider wrapping and insulating?...I may be in California...but our winter temperatures can reach lows in the teens for a week or two at a time. We don't get polar vortex's......yet....of course, if we don't get rain...it may not matter
          Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

• AscPete
            AscPete commented
            Editing a comment
            After leaf loss in fall and the night time temperatures are constantly at or below freezing (32 deg F.). Fig tree limbs are easily damaged by constant temperatures below 20 deg F and or Cold Breezes/Winds. BTW, I collect and destroy all the fallen fig tree leaves to reduce the incidents of Rust the next season.

Okay I understand. Here freeze line can sometime go 4 feet deep. I have pipe freeze and burst at 3.5 feet two year ago. Last year winter go -35F without windchill.

Comment

Working...
          X