X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unk Carini 2015 Main

This is a four year old tree that was placed in ground in the spring of 2013 and
    died to the ground this past winter. It is now six feet tall and six feet wide. It
    is the most vigorous growing tree I have. It is also loaded with figs yet to ripen.

This is the first fig to ripen this year and is a little on the smaller side than
    in previous years and most of the remaining figs on the tree. It is not overly
    sweet and has a honey flavor. We gave it an 8 on a 1-10.

Updated on 9/5/15. Unfortunately as good as this fig is it split really bad with
    excess rain.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4618.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	33745

Name:	IMG_4619.JPG
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	33746

Name:	IMG_4621.JPG
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	33747
    Last edited by newnandawg; 09-05-2015, 10:05 AM.
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Another great one to look forward to.

Thank you for sharing Mike.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Great fig and a very nice report . Thanks Mike.

Comment

Looks good Mike! That is some awesome growth to have this season!
        Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
        Zone 8B

Comment

Looks good Mike! My main crop Carinis are a ways out from ripening. The single breba from it this year wasn't really worth while, last years breba was better.
          Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
          Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Nice one Mike
            I am also growing a Carini (thanks Frank) and look forward to eating one this year

Comment

Hey Mike and all friends that have enjoyed fruit from this variety. I ran a search on F4f on this one and it seems like only Frank gets fruit with red center. Most outside pics of the fruit look identical. Could climate or soil type have such a big impact? Could they also affect taste ? I apologize if I'm out of topic.

Comment

• F. Bennett
                F. Bennett commented
                Editing a comment
                One thing I've learned over the past few years is that figs are unpredictable when it comes to leaf and fruit production. 99% of my Carinis come with red center, while 1% may get an amber center, but I attribute that to not enough sun. I do agree that yard location, soil type, and climate affect figs to a point that they're almost unidentifiable from one year to the next. Crazy figs!

Looks good, Mike. I was tending to my neighbor's potted Carini the other day and I picked a ripe one that was literally larger than a golf ball. My in-ground Carini looks like it's producing smaller figs this year though.
              Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Frank and Chrisk, I agree with everything Frank said. Very unpredictable. I was just
                out looking at this tree and it has some larger figs starting to swell and ripen. Maybe
                I will see some red center also?
                newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Sounds like a good one!
                  Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

I have yet to try them, I'm hoping for next year. From what I've read and been told it is a must have.
                    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Hoping for next year. I have a Carini in a pot (thank you, Frank!) that will winter protected inside. Looking forward to what it does next year.
                      Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

So far, I haven't gotten a red center, half amber with some pink is the closest I have come. Mine couldn't get anymore sun than they do, a full day of Colorado's finest blaze.
                        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Interesting, Calvin. Soil type, perhaps? Here is what I consistently get...

Name:	1.JPG
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	33931

Name:	2.JPG
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	33932
                          Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Frank, how does the outside color compare with my pics at the top when yours
                            are full ripe?
                            newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

About the same, but the eye is very tight on mine.

Name:	9-29-14.JPG
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	33953

Name:	9-29-14-a.JPG
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	33954

Name:	9-29-14-d.JPG
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	33955
                              Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• F. Bennett
                                F. Bennett commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Also, I never fertilize or give any special treatment to the tree. This is the natural outcome.

I will be harvesting a good many in the next couple weeks and will post more pics
                              here to compare the colors etc. It will be interesting to see how they may vary
                              in the different climates/soil etc. Mine have received a little fertilizer this year
                              but no more and no more water for some of mine. A certain group of trees
                              will be on their own.
                              newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Here are some pics of Unk Carini I picked just now. The center has a little
                                more red than my original pic but not like yours. The eye on these was
                                much more closed than the top pic also.

Name:	IMG_4754.JPG
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	35280

Name:	IMG_4756.JPG
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	35281

Name:	IMG_4757.JPG
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	35282

Name:	IMG_4758.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	35283

Name:	IMG_4759.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	35284
                                newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

I can't help but wonder if night time lows or some other temperature factor is involved. Also, Frank's figs are much less ripe than all the others posted.
                                  Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Bob, that is probably a factor but also the soil (red clay here) vs what ever up north.

As for ripening, I try to let all my figs ripen to the max before picking them. Another
                                    difference is the cavity on most of the ones I just picked vs Franks.

These were delicious !!
                                    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

I'm also getting an amber interior color, but I'm also growing mine in pot for now (it was started as a cutting in Dec 2014). And I have red clay here, I think most of VA is red clay country? Might the color differences be age/maturity of the tree?

Frank, your inground Ukn.Carini, do you protect it where you are?
                                      Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

Very interesting. No, I don't protect mine.
                                        Not that anyone questions it, but be assured that you did receive Unk Carini because this was the only variety I had when I was trading/selling cuttings in 2012/2013. I have no idea why the flesh varies in color otherwise. I wonder what the results are from other members growing this?
                                        Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Thanks for sharing the photos and info...

Looks like a good EBT (English Brown Turkey) cultivar. Looking forward to acquiring a few cuttings this fall.

BTW, from my observations increasing the available Calcium and Minerals will often change the visible appearance of the figs produced.
                                          Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Frank, I would be the last one to question its authenticity. I think it is so interesting that
                                            there can be such changes from plant to plant when they came from the same mother plant.
                                            It would be fun to try to determine why but I don't know if ordinary people can figure that out, if
                                            you know what I mean. LOL
                                            Last edited by newnandawg; 08-17-2015, 11:39 AM.
                                            newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• F. Bennett
                                              F. Bennett commented
                                              Editing a comment
                                              No, I know that Mike. But I felt better clearing it up in case anyone else was wondering.
                                              I looked at my Carini pics from 2012 to present and they all had more red than amber. Hope that helps.

I agreed with Mike. But correct me if I'm wrong, were you the one who said that the tree from a lower branch gave you an amber more honey taste on the other forum, Frank? Still a good fig, but we might be onto the next unique fig, get both berry and honey figs on one tree! LOL
                                            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
                                            Last edited by twovkay; 08-17-2015, 12:06 PM.
                                            Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

• drphil69
                                              drphil69 commented
                                              Editing a comment
                                              June 18 in N. VA? Not brebas? Do you have a greenhouse for an early start?

I'm just getting Chicago Hardy now... started last week.

• twovkay
                                              twovkay commented
                                              Editing a comment
                                              Drphil69, it was a cutting that was started in Dec 2014 and kept inside until April/May. The fruit was on a portion of the tree above the cutting on the new growth. So my assumption is it was not a Breba. I had a few more trees that did the same thing.
                                          Working...
                                          X