X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you eat your figs?

I just wondering how everyone eats their figs. So far I've only eaten one fresh fig off of my own tree. I've had fig preserves before that were good and I tried cooking some of the Trader Joe's figs in a butter and honey sauce but didn't really like the consistency of the sauteed figs...kind of like cooked egg plant.

How do you eat yours?
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

With a wife and kids that love figs. We usually cut open each fig and share. This way we get to check for bugs and see the different colors of each variety.
    Art
    Western Pa -6a

Comment

Mostly by cutting open and sharing with wife and grand kids. We each tell what
      it taste like and rate it.

I also like to slice them, wrap with a think slice or prosciutto, drizzle with
      EVOO and top with a leaf of fresh rosemary.

I also made a Galette that was delicious.

Last but not least is fig preserves.
      newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• Taverna78
        Taverna78 commented
        Editing a comment
        I second tis!

• newnandawg
        newnandawg commented
        Editing a comment
        Phil, if this was Herpshell saying this I would understand, being he is in the middle of nowhere. But not you. LoL

• strudeldog
        strudeldog commented
        Editing a comment
        I need to spend more time in the kitchen I guess, but google is my friend, the Ouzo sounded interesting, and I bet they have been consumed together before.

Eat???? Oh.... You mean devour!!

Raw and chilled so far. I've only had one of my own so far, a Hardy Chicago.... man was it good!

Got some from Costco and trader joe's this year. .. I just eat them from the fridge. Got to go get one right now! !!
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

One after the other rite off the tree about half way ripe or the birds get them. But next year
        Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Roast bird and figs Hershell! !!
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

If I could kill them all! I am trying a new device. Stay tuned
            Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

A pack of Jack Russell Terriers!?!!???!

Comment

pizza, canned with a little cinamon, fresh...and sliced if they make it to the house, jam, jam and more jam
                Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Hershell, you should find a way to aim the lasers the puddles on your greenhouse create.

Right off the tree and into my mouth. Every once in a while (it's been a couple of years), I'll stop to grab a pic first. If you want to try figs in a recipe but do not like the texture, cut the figs in half, press down in some brown sugar and put cut side down in a buttered skillet just long enough to caramelize the sugar then pour over vanilla ice cream.
                  Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
                  N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

• don_sanders
                    don_sanders commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Caramelized brown sugar in butter sounds pretty good.

I eat them fresh but greatly prefer them cool rather than 90 degrees off of the tree. Refrigerator temps are too cool but 55 - 65 degrees is good. I've tried a few in various raw and cooked recipes but nothing compares to plain.
                  Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

I let one of the Trader Joe's figs dry over the weekend too. It seemed to taste better than the store bought dried figs.

Might have to experiment with different temps.
                    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Most get eaten within seconds of picking from the tree, no peeling involved, etc. If they are scarce, they might get cut in half and shared with my wife if she's around. I use an agronomist for nutrition consulting of my chestnuts and figs and I share some with him when he comes by. He's from Spain and is rather refined in his approach, peeling them. Makes me feel like a savage by comparison, LOL.
                      My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

• Chrisk
                        Chrisk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Lol. You sound like me Harvey. No time to peel, eat skin stem and all. My wife always peels them. The skin ,by the way, adds to the flavor in a big way. Hey... Their loss.

All figs are split in two or three depending on who's present at the time. This way we all get to try each fig for comparison reasons. If I'm home alone I put the figs away in the fridge until my partners in crime come home. They always taste better chilled. Best time to pick is early in the morning before the sun rays heat them up. Always fresh if it was my choice. If I had more than enough to eat I'd make fig jam. Great topic!!
                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 7 photos.

Comment

• rusty hooks
                        rusty hooks commented
                        Editing a comment
                        figs and Moscato...now you're talking....

Have to resort to eating Publix figs now and be joyous that they have them. One day I will have a fig off my own trees. AHHHH

Comment

this guy thinks they should be eaten like this lol

Wish List -

Comment

• don_sanders
                          don_sanders commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Lol, gross.

My wife, who I included on the last tasting....and was previously a "fig nuetral"......is now looking forward to the new varieties brought home....I think I may have struck a new chord
                        Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Working...
                        X