X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from NYC

Some of you might have read this from another forum. Updated a little. Here it goes:

Hi. I'm Danny, a member from F4F and Bountiful Figs. It's nice to have another place to go.

Have been interested in figs since I was a young boy. I always remember eating figs from my Great Grandfather's tree in the Bronx. Lots of good family memories surround that tree and I think of that place often. Grew some figs in the early 90's but lost what I had due to moving, work obligations, etc. Always dreamed of having a few hardy, solid fig trees and being able to come home from work, kick back and enjoy a few fresh ones.

Fast forward 20 something years and here I am retired and collecting figs. I've been 'figging' for a few years now and there are currently over 40 varieties growing in pots, something I never knew that I could do. Some are indoors now for the winter and most are outside. There is one in-ground for 6 years and she just started to give us good fruit last year. There are over 100 healthy trees neatly stacked in the heated shed, and I love it! I can't remember anything that has given me more peace than taking a summer stroll passed the fig trees that line our small Staten Island yard, with my youngest son. "How's that one doing Daddy? How about that one? How about that one? How about that one?" Puts a smile on my face every time.

The knowledge I've obtained that helps to expand my collection and keep it healthy comes from the good people that make up these fig communities. Thank you for all of your help. I look forward to learning more, contributing to this new forum and wish the founding members good luck in the venture.
    Last edited by nycfig; 02-17-2015, 11:25 AM.
    Danny; NYC Z7b

List safe. Bid safe. figBid.com

Welcome Danny,
    Looking forward to continuing our fellowship in this new Fig Community....
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Welcome Danny 😁

MJ
      Chicago Zone 5

Comment

Wecome
        SW TN 7B Wish list: Boysenberry Blush, Coll de Dama Mutante, Madeira Island Black, Cravens Craving, Malibu Greek and Fico Giallo. Any fig I can grow and Happy Days

Comment

Hello, Danny. Welcome to ourfigs forum. I enjoyed reading about how you became interested in fig trees and the great memories bthat you have.

Comment

The forum way-back machine...
            “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
            – Source Unknown
            MA 5b/6a

Comment

Ahem ....
              The original post was "Last edited by nycfig; 02-17-2015, 08:25 AM." Normally I'd say a late welcome is better than no welcome at all, but I'm not sure on this one. It could be an exception since he's the owner of figbid.com I suppose.

Well, what the hell. Welcome, Danny!
              Alan. Los Angeles area. Zone 10b (Sunset zone 24).
              Looking for: Angelito, Bass's Favorite Fig, Dolce Calderai, Izbat An Naj, Raspberry Tart.

Comment

Lol bumped after 6 years

Comment

Necroposting - bringing a post back from the dead. Always done with the best of intentions, but liable to trigger the fig-pocalypse.

Jason. San Diego, CA - Zone 10A WL: Dominick, Chiappetta

Comment

Priceless! A 6 year-old bump! In any event, welcome Danny. I'm trying to play along...
                    Orlando, FL Zone 9b.
                    Wishlist - finding patience with cuttings and cosme manyo, but not necessarily in that order

Comment

Welcome Danny! There's many knowledgeable members here that enjoy sharing their wisdom and experience. All you have to do is look in the mirror to find one.
                      Chris - Zone 6b

Comment

LoL. Welcome again, Danny! It's almost throwback Thursday. Close enough
                        Angel #1 at 2 Angels Mushrooms-Chattanooga, TN Zone 7-B
                        WL: Sigar, Fico Moro de Caneva, Acciano, Cosme Manyo, Fiorone Di Ruvo, Mattepinta, Figue de Sollies AOP, Crozes,

Comment

Welcome Danny! Be very careful if you buy cuttings on ebay, I hear there are scammers on that site!
                          Zone 10a San Diego | Wishlist: Boysenberry blush, Raspberry Tart, NSDC, Angelito, Bass Favorite, a caprifig that puts out wasps late in the season (Roeding #3? Milco?)

Comment

This made me smile. Why I spend so much time here! Danny is a great guy and if anyone deserves second welcome, he'd be it. Oh, I've replied to some real old posts before I can always blame it on diminishing little grey cells...
                            Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b
                            WL: Dr Clark heirloom, GM Maltese varieties, Nordland
                            Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone!

Cguitar thank you, my friend!

Figbert thank you for the advice.
                              Danny; NYC Z7b

List safe. Bid safe. figBid.com

Comment

• TNJed
                                TNJed commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Welcome aboard Danny! You should check out Figbid for all your fig propagation needs!

A late welcome to you Danny🤣 thanks for the sticks and supporting St Judes!
                              Sam
                              AKA Scubasam
                              Arroyo Grande / Central Coast of California, 10a/b, AHS 1

Comment

Working...
                              X