X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The perils of air layers

My potting bench is made from greenhouse clear twinwall scraps, a Hershell idea. So I'm potting up some air layers this morning and I see movement through the clear twinwall, what do I see cruising across my foot?

Click image for larger version

Name:	coral.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	33812
    Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Coral snakes are beautiful, one of my favorites. Thankfully they are docile and REAR fanged.... since they are in the cobra family. Wills you lucky dog!!!!
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Red on yellow can kill a fellow! One of my favorites though.
      Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

I like them as well, is actually the second time one went across my foot, last time one slithered across my bare foot while I was sitting in my garage reading the newspaper.

Comment

The only venomous snake I have in my area is the Prairie rattler. There are other species of rattlesnakes here just not in my general area. And all are rattlers that I'm aware of.
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Even at a small size, their venom is brutal, so be very carefull!
            Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

Yuk, make sure you don't send one of those to Texas in a pot with a fig plant.
              Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• COGardener
                COGardener commented
                Editing a comment
                Great idea Jerry. ... please make sure you send a couple to Colorado with some fig trees!!!!

nice looking snake Wills....deadly....be careful
              Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Snakes and mice no like!
                Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

I put on my wish list maybe take out rabbit And my rude midget dwarf neighbor. Little you know what... Maybe send me 2 snake one for him
                  And one for his second personality.... He should get job to pose for top of trophies.
                  Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                  1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                  2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Teach the ducks to eat snakes!
                    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
                    SE PA
                    Zone 6

Comment

What is it with you and snakes Wills? Good thing you didn't encounter this guy in your truck while driving down the highway.

Comment

• WillsC
                        WillsC commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah I would have had to pull over for that one.

ohhhh uggggh snake tied with spider yucko capital ick factor you lucky you didn't get a bite or your doggy.

Comment

• WillsC
                        WillsC commented
                        Editing a comment
                        They are not an aggressive snake.

A quick in and out question so we don't get off toppic. Does the AL mark on your pots along side the fig name mean air layer?
                      Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• WillsC
                        WillsC commented
                        Editing a comment
                        yes. Though I'm not sure why I still put the AL......the cuttings are always in tree pots now, the only thing I put in the 1 gallons is the airlayers.

• jmaler
                        jmaler commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks. That is good to know. The plants i get from you always do well.

Very cool Wills. Love the snake. Just be careful with that one. Maybe you should teach the long fella to eat birds and rats, it should come natural, that's all they do. Then keep it and watch it swallow the darn catbirds.

Comment

• COGardener
                        COGardener commented
                        Editing a comment
                        To bad coral snakes don't get big enough eat larger prey items.... but lizards, frogs and smaller snakes beware.

What a beauty. What a gift to get to see one.

Comment

Will,
                        Speak of snake. My Zio buy home with a lot of land in Springfield il. He was working on land on berry trees and see tis... No sure what it is but I no think there is cobra in Illinois.
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                        Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                        1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                        2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Mike, it is an Eastern hog nose snake. Harmless, in fact they are great to have around!!!

Comment

• Taverna78
                            Taverna78 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            They can hurt human?

Yep Hog nose

Comment

beautiful!
                            Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
                            Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

Interesting this post came up when it did. Two weeks ago I had an encounter with two chicken snakes in the hens nest boxes after dark. No flashlight I gently reached in like always and felt a quarter to half dollar size snake ever so slowly move between my fingers. I immediately knew why two of my ceramic eggs had come up missing.
                              Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

I hope the snakes regurgitate the ceramic eggs, that will be painful to pass otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                                X