X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mount Etna Challenge

I was laying out the cutting board and realized how many Mount Etna types I had today so I went and picked a couple more that probably were not ready. I am not going to rank them, just going to say the Winner today were us and my son and daughter in law. The yellow jackets/wasps are killing me but I will take them over SWD spotted wing drosophila any day. I can often still enjoy part of a wasp initiated eat. I hope the SWD don’t hit me later like last year. I would have Gino's Black, Attilio Purple, and Black Bethlehem today as well the below other possible Mount Etna types but I didn’t have one the wasps did not damage. Other mixed in as well.

I picked 2 of everything for the pic’s except where noted 1 in the legend. The bottom is lined with 3 different Celeste. 2 just came as Celeste one labeled Blue Celeste and one lone not ripe Florea I knocked off to the right

That behemoth Golden Riverside I have been eyeing for days. 1st fig ever for me swelled up huge on a 18 inch young plant and still not softened up, has a big open eye and the wasps were starting on it some and it was now or never I feared. That Magnolia NOT is a 1st fig as well, the leafs did not look like Magnolia so not surprised the fruit seeming not going to be either.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    Last edited by strudeldog; 08-10-2015, 12:34 PM.
    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

is the golden riverside UCR 278-128?
    Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

• strudeldog
      strudeldog commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it is

• rusty hooks
      rusty hooks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks...that'll give me an idea of the scaffolding strength I'll need for the one I just put in the ground...can't wait

Phil the organza bags totally defeat the wasps. Sounds like you have too much fruit to individually wrap. Wasp poisons work well too.
    Rafael
    Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

I should try some organza bags on a few that I only have couple chances to taste, but beyond that bagging fruits not for me. What Wasp poison do you use? I have tried the wasp traps, but did not have much success.
      Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

Nice collection of figs you have there.
        Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

If you can keep an eye on them, sometimes you can follow the wasps and eventually find the hive. That only does you good if it is on your property or someone's property you can access. But taking out a hive cetainly knocks down wasp damage.
          Apple maggot bags, which are essentially nylon footies, work pretty good for keeping wasps and fruit flies out. You just need to put them on as soon as the figs start to swell. Pinch one side of the open end and wrap it around the fig stem, usually the rough texture of the stem will hold it in place just fine. You can also wrap and tuck under like one would do with the finishing wraps of grafting tape, but takes more time and is usually not needed.
          Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
          Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Phil,
            Thanks for taking the time to share the photos and info.
            I've had problems with Bald Faced Wasps, but only late in the season and on dark figs... I lost all my Papa Johns PP to wasps one season. Good Luck
            Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Nice collection. That's for sharing the pics.
              Don - OH Zone 5b/6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Craven's Craving, Izmir/Iznot, Calderona, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Izbat an Naj, Blava Campenera, Makedonia Dark, Souadi, LSU Jack Lily, Violet Sepor

Comment

Working...
              X