X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT, MEGA slug

Thankfully not near my figs but found this GIANT slug the other night. Canister of salt next to it for size comparison. Roughly 4" long.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Greg Luchak
    N.W. Arkansas - Zone 6b

Well how would you rate it? a 8 with salt a 10 without?
    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

salting doesn't do it proper justice.....garlic salt gets it closer to a 10
      Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

next time, I will try the garlic salt for sure!
        ;o)
        Greg Luchak
        N.W. Arkansas - Zone 6b

Comment

limax maximus slug, and they do get huge, up to 6 inches. they origionally are from Europe and Asia. I see them in central MA all the time. one listing said that besides eating decaying plant matter, they also eat other slugs.
          Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

We have those too. For some reason we have more slugs this year than ever before, those bigs ones and the little ones. Makes we wish I had some chickens, my chickens used to love slugs, I wonder if they would have eaten one of the magnum slugs?
            Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
            Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• cjmach1973
              cjmach1973 commented
              Editing a comment
              the slug would eat the chicken

Calvin,

I've never seen them here, never heard of them being in Colorado. Interesting.
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Oh gross looking thing

Comment

I do my waterting late at night. Whats gross is when I step on one and it's like stepping on a banana peel or dog dukie. The other thing is when I roll up the hose afterward it seems to almost always slide accross one at some point while I'm watering, then a section of the hose is slimey. Let me tell you, slug slime doesn't just wipe or wash off easily.

Comment

you have to use salt and lemon juice as I remember as a kid, when it was cool to go barefoot.

Comment

These are from the yard, average sized.

Comment

Maybe time for the ole beer in a pie pan treat for the slimmers. Have you tried snail bait.

Comment

Pie pan eh, I've seen buried jars of beer.
                        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

With the exception of strawberries, they haven't really been much of a bother. I have just let them be.

Comment

My strawberries were bothered by the stands small slugs years ago, I planted various types of garlic through out the strawberry bed and no more slugs. Saw it in a companion planting book.

Comment

Hello Everyone, Am new to Ourfigs, this is my first post! Happened upon the slugs posting...here in Georgia no giant slugs that I am aware of....but a good supply of the standard sized variety. Due to our hot dry summer this year very few slugs, but this is my remedy when I do see them. Obtain some household ammonia (Parson`s or similar) and pour into a plastic spray bottle, spray them with a spritz of ammonia. Cheap, quick, effective.....they will curl up and begin squirming at once. Never fails to kill. Apparently breaks down harmlessly. Dont get on tender leaves....ammonia can burn. Good luck!!! Let us know if you try it and it does work for you......Randy

Comment

thanks for neat tip randy

Comment

scott the garlic planting is a great idea

Comment

I'd heard of planting garlic next to strawberries, but never knew why it was beneficial. Turns out garlic oil is lethal to slugs:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...nd-snails.html

I'm going to interplant some garlic in all my strawberry beds this fall.
                                    Johnny
                                    Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

Working...
                                    X