X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black figs do not have a chance

Every time I believe I will get to eat a VDB fig,another fig lover taste the fig first.
    Time to cover the plant,two more figs are about ready to pick.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    New Bern NC Zone 8a ,Wish list : Col de Dame Rimada ,Galica Negra

if it is birds, try the organza bags.
    Greg Luchak
    N.W. Arkansas - Zone 6b

Comment

That's frustrating and I am feeling the same pain. The birds around here finally discovered my Violette de Bordeaux yesterday. I was expecting damage sooner, but I have a neighbor with two giant figs trees that have kept the birds busy.

I am going to try organza bags. They worked for protecting my grapes, at least a lot better than uncovered clusters. I am not much of a fan of bird netting after finding tangled frightened birds in it more than once.
      Coastal SoCal/ USDA Zone 10b / Sunset 22 / AHS Heat zone 2

Comment

Organza bags may confuse the birds for a short time but eventually they'll realize what's underneath and then the bags will seve as a marker for them to peck through. If you don't like netting you can try 1/2" welded wire hardware cloth or screen backed by packing tape.
        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Hopefully this will keep the birds at bay.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• COGardener
            COGardener commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks pretty stout.

• JimmyS
            JimmyS commented
            Editing a comment
            Built to last,1/4 inch hardware cloth,hog rings holding it together.

• Chrisk
            Chrisk commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks good Jimmy. It can probably withstand up to .30 cal rounds! Lol. Nice work and I really wish you cent to taste those nice looking figs that you worked so hard for.
            The organza bags work if you start using them from the begining of the season.The birds will not look for what they don't know is there. If they take a few figs , it's game over for the organzas.

Throw one of these light weight nets over the tree PROBLEM SOLVED
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1618 copy.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	34217
          Wish List -

Comment

nets like above work well if you can "seal" off the tree. I have used successfully.
            I still have had no issues using organza bags with small trees and small numbers of figs. My 4th year using them and my birds have not figured them out yet. I use the green ones,,,
            Greg Luchak
            N.W. Arkansas - Zone 6b

Comment

• Chrisk
              Chrisk commented
              Editing a comment
              And I the same with 100% success.

I findly picked a whole VDB
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• Chrisk
              Chrisk commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool , well done man.
          Working...
          X