X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-258

Properly ripened I -258. Wow just amazing.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Congrats! Looks great. I love it as well.
    Art
    Western Pa -6a

Comment

• Fig-Doctor
      Fig-Doctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you

Fabulous! Hoping to get a few like that in late Aug.
    Conrad, SoCal zone 10
    Wish List: More Land

Comment

• Fig-Doctor
      Fig-Doctor commented
      Editing a comment
      You will not disappointed! Such a great fig

I-258 truly live up to the hype. Big, sweet berry, honey, thick and something unexplainable taste. My first word was ‘Wow’

Comment

When you have too many trees, you still want two or three of these.

258 is great!

Comment

• Fig-Doctor
        Fig-Doctor commented
        Editing a comment
        For some varieties yes. I need to make sure it is true, healthy. LOL

Interesting... What's your address? And just out of curiosity... Will anyone be home tomorrow evening?
      Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

• TorontoJoe
        TorontoJoe commented
        Editing a comment
        Another week or so and I'll be stalking figs in Italy... Never too far!

• grasshopper
        grasshopper commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't forget to send us all those pictures

• TorontoJoe
        TorontoJoe commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll send you load of pics if my fingers don't get too fat to do so..... As soon as I touch down in Calabria, I start to gorge on Salumi

If you are going to stop by, I, and others will be here to say hello, but the 258 won't be ready till, mid October here without a greenhouse start.

Up for a drive, we are here!

Comment

• Fig-Doctor
        Fig-Doctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, Weather here is hot. It really help to ripe fruits early.

My long range drone is headed to your yard. Thanks!
      PPP
      Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

• Fig-Doctor
        Fig-Doctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Your drone welcome!

That's an awesome looking fig Mike. While I've been known to poke my nose over a fence to check out a tree... I'd never actually touch anyone's fig without first knocking on the front door and asking politely.... Especially when in Texas

Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

• Sas
        Sas commented
        Editing a comment
        If you’re in a Texas, I’ll point you in the right direction to my best tree.
        Last edited by Sas; 07-28-2018, 11:34 AM.

• TorontoJoe
        TorontoJoe commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope I get to visit again sooner than later

Lookin good

Comment

• Fig-Doctor
        Fig-Doctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Ortegojeffrey!

Good job Fig Doc! Are you growing Genovese Nero as well? I have 2 GN trees and expect the same fruit. Wills said the GN he prefers over the 258 if that still holds true.

Comment

• Fig-Doctor
        Fig-Doctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes Wills said it. He has more experience then many other growers and has very large collections. I highly respect his word. About GNAF and I-258, It is very possible they can be different fig but very similar like a Mt Etna types (They are very similar in leaf patterns, fruit size and even taste). I have GNaf (one from Harvey, one from tree of joy) and will get one from Wills in a week or two. This is my bad habit. I have to verify by myself always to clear. I also started think BM's can be possibly slightly different like a Mt Etna type but taste and leaf patterns are very similar in a good way.

You mean different BM'S varying in degree of flavor? I personally think they are all the same except for maybe growth do to varying degree of FMV in the lineage. And GN compared to I-258 I can only think they are identical in flavor and would bet nobody can tell their flavor apart if there were a bowl of figs on the table with both mixed in. So many different climates they are being grown in and fig to fig they vary in flavor do to ripeness, so it is impossible to really compare. Sellers sell more trees with more varieties and it is a major plus to have more inventory. This is a business and if there were only 30-40 figs, there business would dry up pretty fast. Yes, Wills is a storehouse of information! also many people on this site share their information readily.

Comment

• Fig-Doctor
        Fig-Doctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Mangoman, I did not said they taste different in degree of flavor. If you can find my posts about BM's, you see clearly what I said about BM's. I said ether they are same fig or very closely related. But I have open possibility it is possible like a Mt Etnas. I can't separate Mt Etna type taste much ether. Their taste so similar but they have different name. That is why I grow all different BM's, all different Mt Etnas, all different Col de Dames, all Bordisot, GNaf &I-258 --- For me, it is O.K ether they are same fig or not. It is already fun to find some difference.

• Mangoman
        Mangoman commented
        Editing a comment
        I got ya Fig Doc! I can see how and why you would do this. To tell you the truth, I was going to be like you at beginning but dialed myself down for I did not want past 40 figs in my collection. Instead I did a thorough reading and guessed from research what I would want. I have doubles of all the top ones like two GN and 2 CDDN and so forth. If I find I don't like a fig tree, then I will graft it into something else.I am glad you are in my type of climate for your successes are good feedback. Ok, I got what you mean about BM. and it seems identical or close to what the majority thinks. Hard to tell unless you had at least 10 of each! lol

When the stars are perfectly lined up, you will end up with this fig. Congratulations...

Sas North Austin, TX Zone 8B

Comment

• Fig-Doctor
        Fig-Doctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I-258 is such a good fig

Does anyone know the origin story of I-258? It seems to come from Todd Kennedy's trip to Italy, which was later donated to Germplasm.
      Moved from SoCal 10b to N. NJ 7a

Comment

My wife’s favorite. I-258.
        Leon-Albuquerque, NM Zone 7b

Comment

8/10 easily, big & delicious, figgy-honey-berry flavor. Hoping for more of these beauties in the near future, about 10 more green ones on the tree.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
          Conrad, SoCal zone 10
          Wish List: More Land

Comment

Working...
          X