X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pink Jerusalem

I'm seeing two very different looking trees on ebay being sold as Pink Jerusalem. What should the leaf look like on this variety?
    Oaken Rose, Hillsborough, NC Zone 8a

There is a list of trusted eBay sellers in the sticky threads. Seeing if the sellers are on it is a good first step. If they are not, be very aware, there are many scammers out there.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Thanks, I've been referencing that list and it has been very useful so far. There is a seller named Plant Creator that is not on that list, but appears convincing. Anybody know anything about him?

Comment

He's been a good seller but I don't believe he's fruited anything he's growing thus far, just buys cuttings and propagates, I believe. I wrote him before to ask for the source of his cuttings and he promptly provided that information. I believe the only reliable source for those cuttings as of last year was Bass. I also know for a fact that someone else in PA was selling fakes.
        My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

• Oaken Rose
          Oaken Rose commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks so much! I've been a member of this forum for a day and I am impressed with the quick responses and excellent advice thus far. I can't wait to have some fruit pics for others to ogle

I buy from Plant Creator and he is reputable and honest. He has nice looking material also. hope this helps. If you have a problem he is quick to solve it. Joyce

Comment

He answered me almost immediately. Now on to the question of Pink Jerusalem's quality. Anyone?

Comment

I don't normally sell on ebay but when I do I don't advertise my self.

I was one of the sellers of the Pink Jerusalems that were just sold. I am speaking now because the auction is over so no advertising of it on my behalf.

I don't know where plant creator got his from but there hare fakes out there. Bass is the only other person I know of who has it but had his or something from his stolen and floated out there along with some fakes to try to get more money I guess.

Bass and I got ours from one and original source who's name I will not speak of. As for the plant creator, all hangs on who he got his from. I don't know and will not be a part of that debate.

Only reason why I sold mine and the rest of my collection is because I am moving to a new house and I just cannot take all the figs with me.

This is all I can say and I hope it helps.

Comment

• Byatc81
              Byatc81 commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you know if it is a common fig?

Ok, I'm quickly getting a crash course in fig bosses lol. So plant creator showed me a screen grab of his purchase history of 2 cuttings of Pink Jerusalem from Trees of Joy dated 12/22/14. He said the new plant was air layered off of one of them. I'm gonna let it go and assume there was an id mixup somewhere along the way. I guess if I want to collect figs I'm gonna have to accept that there is a lot of homework to do to keep proper nomenclature.

Comment

It can be a hard and expensive lesson. And sadly not only high end cultivars are effected by the misslableing be it intentional or not.
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Originally posted by Oaken Rose View Post
                Ok, I'm quickly getting a crash course in fig bosses lol. So plant creator showed me a screen grab of his purchase history of 2 cuttings of Pink Jerusalem from Trees of Joy dated 12/22/14. He said the new plant was air layered off of one of them. I'm gonna let it go and assume there was an id mixup somewhere along the way. I guess if I want to collect figs I'm gonna have to accept that there is a lot of homework to do to keep proper nomenclature.
                Trees of joy is owned by Bass, so if they got their cuttings from Bass and he was the other one who got it from the the original source like rafed then I would say it was legit. I got some maltese falcon cuttings from plant creator and they were true.
                Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

And just because they don't look the same doesn't mean they are not the same.
                  Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Originally posted by quackmaster View Post
                    And just because they don't look the same doesn't mean they are not the same.
                    What Ryan said. Immature plant leaves can vary quite a bit. Not sticking up for plant creator - don't know the person. But their plant is obviously pretty young.
                    Ed
                    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Just looked at the plant being sold. Mine and that one are definitely not the same. Young or not.
                      One of us has the false one.

Comment

Here is a link from a collector in Australia showing a picture of the Pink Jerusalem.

http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....pink+jerusalem

Below is a picture of the leaves off my tree for comparison.
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Hmm........I looked online at the pictures and I agree the one Plant Creator is selling sure does not look right....
                          Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

"IF" it is not correct, keep this thread in mind, this means there will be a flood of misslabled cuttings and starts in the near future. Be very aware and leary.

Comment

Originally posted by rafed View Post
                              Just looked at the plant being sold. Mine and that one are definitely not the same. Young or not.
                              One of us has the false one.
                              I didn't look at the auctions, I was just being optimistic, lol
                              Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

I was looking at his Black Ischia also the leaves on that don't look like the normal Black Ischia leave??? Maybe he had some kind of mix up ???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Ischia...item3aaf6a1cfc

http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....-black-6525414
                                Last edited by Dave; 08-12-2015, 03:22 PM.
                                Wish List -

Comment

If everyone selling cuttings would include pictures of the fruit, whole and split, with the leaf....there would be much less confusion....and significantly less sellers on e-bay...

If, and only if...one seller started this practice.....he would corner a market....and to compete...the remainder of the sellers would be forced to hold trees to fruiting before selling to prove their product...

it's entirely up to the top sellers to set the standard...and eliminate any future "problems"

and right now is the opportune time to start this practice.....

It still revolves around ethics.....and any picture could be used.....but give it a chance...the first year will perform significant weeding...which is a must in gardening
                                  Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

• HarveyC
                                    HarveyC commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Rusty, in Theory, I'd like to accommodate such a wish. But I also like to get a little bit of sleep. Also, sometimes more information leads to more confusion. For instance, with my Socorro Black, the leaves on both trees were significantly different than what the leaves look like this year even though the trees were already pretty large last year (5-6' tall). Fruits in different climates are also different. My Lebanese Red fruits are not red at all, but a pretty dark fig. My Galicia Negra fruits have pulp that aren't as purple as what Bass shows but more like what the fruit from the original mother tree in Spain looks like, IMO. Many more examples of things that I think are just downright confusing about figs.

• rusty hooks
                                    rusty hooks commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Harvey, you've got the best collection of pics i know of...and well done

It would just represent a level of integrity and a pic of what you get......no pressure

hope to see you later in the month

• HarveyC
                                    HarveyC commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Thanks! I do make a big effort, just don't need any more pressure, LOL

See you at Gary's!

Okay guys a mistake happened. The wrong pic. was posted with the ad. I was rushing to put on twenty plants and must have forgot to change the pics. while posting the Pink Jerusalem ad. I guarantee my plants to be true to name. If you ever have any problem with anything I sell just contact me and the problem will be solve to your satisfaction. The ad was canceled because of the wrong pic. A new ad with the correct plant pic. was posted just recently. I buy my starts from what I consider trustworthy reliable sources on eBay.

Comment

Ray,

Thank you for letting us know. I once did the same thing though much worse.....as I was doing the auctions on Ebay I messed up the pictures and every auction had the next auctions picture....so vdb had rdb and strawberry verte had RDb and Grise had strawberry verte pic....you get the idea
                                    Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Ray is a good seller and is always prompt in answering questions I have fyi. I have bought several trees from him.

Comment

I'm so glad I brought this up and it has been clarified. Thanks.

Comment

I sold cuttings last year of this variety for the first time, didn't track down who bought them. But I know of someone selling cuttings and basically labeled them as pink jerusalem after seeing how much they went for. (not going into much details)
                                          As an advice, whoever got cuttings off the other seller besides me and Rafed, to make sure please allow them to fruit before you sell them. Pink jerusalem are big yellow figs, with a big cavity and an open eye, with honey pulp.

Comment

• greenfig
                                            greenfig commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            Just curious, why a fig with a big cavity and an open eye commands a high price?? Everywhere I see people try to get an opposite, a closed eye and a full fig.
                                            Besides, it is not a known cultivar and probably should have Unk. in front of its name. Was it discovered as a seedling in Jerusalem ?
                                            Last edited by greenfig; 08-17-2015, 06:33 AM.

I just purchased a couple plants from Ray with confidence on eBay thanks to this thread. Thanks all for the transparency.
                                          Adam Vista, CA 9b

Comment

Working...
                                          X