X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey! I'm seeing some buds poking through the grafting tape!
    SE MI, zone 6a Current wish list: Fewer gnats, more roots this winter.

Comment

• Anniebee
      Anniebee commented
      Editing a comment
      I was amazed to see that all 4 that I made seem to be doing something. I may want to do more! At this point in the season, is it too late to be grafting?

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t think its too late Ann, as long as your bark is still slipping and its easy to peel it back, you should be good.. its quite addictive isn’t it? Lol, just so much fun frankenfiggin!

• Anniebee
      Anniebee commented
      Editing a comment
      You are just adding fuel to the fire here, Jamie!

Jamie0507 im a few days in and very excited!!! I used a dormant scion, hope that doesn’t effect the outcome. We shall see! I’m trying not to look at it on my daily orchard walks! Don’t want to scare it! Hahaha!
    Joe

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      Don’t worry Joe, dormant wood is great too. My grafts with dormant wood have started waking up between as little as 5 days and as long as 3 weeks. I think this method isn’t very picky about the scion, whether it is active or dormant it seems to take all 👍🏼

Wow. I have done 8 banana grafts since August 12. Some were very small but all are showing signs of growth. Some were green and others dormant. Look at this one from just 7 days ago.
    Attached Files
    Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

Thanks for posting. It's always good to have another technique under your belt.
      Here's mine. The scion came from a growing tree. Not a lot of growth, but looks like it took. (Sorry for poor quality of pictures).

Cheryl (f/k/a VeryNew2Figs) Zone 5a/6a
      What I'm growing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Comment

• Anniebee
        Anniebee commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, lookit that! You didn't wrap the entire thing in Parafilm and it hasn't dried out! Looks great!

• CoolClimateFigger
        CoolClimateFigger commented
        Editing a comment
        No, it was wrapped. Once I saw that the buds were beginning to swell I took the rest of the plastic wrap off. Hope I didn't mess up.

Here are my first banana grafts (and first grafts, EVER!) showing some life. First is White Adriatic, the second is Black Mission. Black Mission is also sprouting some leaves on the back of the graft.
      SE MI, zone 6a Current wish list: Fewer gnats, more roots this winter.

Comment

This is a Manresa that's Banana grafted onto a Texas Blue Giant. The graft is abt 18 months old. When it was first grafted, all of the blades of the graft were closed up, butted up against one another.

Click image for larger version  Name:	zeAEGZ.jpg Views:	1 Size:	105.6 KB ID:	356451
        CA 9b "May you sit under your own fig tree..." This metaphor, in use since Solomon, is a wish for the receiver's spirit to know peace, for their family to be secure, and for their life to be fruitful.

Comment

• CoolClimateFigger
          CoolClimateFigger commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks so interesting. I wonder if the union will ever blend in.

• ginamcd
          ginamcd commented
          Editing a comment
          I angle cut graft my tomato plants and that's how they grow as well even though they start at the same thickness-- the rootstock stays somewhat narrow and the scion stem bulges out right at the union.

For a moment there I expected a banana.....

Loving the garage. Don’t change a thing!
        Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I keep referring back to it, because I really like the simplicity of this type of graft. I know that the excellent video shows the flaps on the rootstock slipping as this was done in what looks to be summer, but I wanted to ask if anyone has tried this type of graft on dormant wood, (both stock and scion). Thanks.
          Tony. Pickens county, SC zone 7b
          WL: Angelo's Dark; Atreano; Azores Dark; Brooklyn White/Dk; Florea; Golden Riverside; LSU Early Improved Celeste; the Maltese or Italians; Napolitana: Tiger Panache

Comment

Jaime do you tap and drill your cutting and rootstock or just allow the cambium to hold it in place?
            Willamette Valley Oregon, zone 8b. WL: zaffiro, Black Tuscan, rodgrod, campaniere, CLBC, de la Gloria, thermalito, del sen juame gran, Sangue dolce, St Martin, Jack Lily, vincenzo, verdolino, Syrian dark, sodus

Comment

• Jamie0507
              Jamie0507 commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh man, I missed all the new action on this thread! Sorry for my delay in response Sod! No I don’t do any tap and drill type techniques to hold the scion in place, just the rubber band and parafilm has always done the trick👍🏼 I even do this technique with higher end scion to easy to root cuttings. You just have to wait until the cutting wakes up so the bark is slipping. To be honest I forgot the rubber band before and it healed just fine with only parafilm holding it in place!

Originally posted by Otis View Post
            I know this is an old thread, but I keep referring back to it, because I really like the simplicity of this type of graft. I know that the excellent video shows the flaps on the rootstock slipping as this was done in what looks to be summer, but I wanted to ask if anyone has tried this type of graft on dormant wood, (both stock and scion). Thanks.
            This won’t work with dormant rootstock.

Comment

• Rewton
              Rewton commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, the bark needs to slip. This brings up another question. With figs does the bark always slip when they are actively growing and not slip when they are dormant? Or is it more complicated than that?

• Otis
              Otis commented
              Editing a comment
              Good question, Steve. Hope someone into plant physiology can shed some light.
              Last edited by Otis; 01-21-2020, 10:53 PM.

• ramv
              ramv commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, bark slipping means the tree is in active growth. It is a sign that cambium -undifferentiated tissue at the boundary of bark and wood is actively making cells on both sides.
              Bark will not slip if tree is dormant. Often bark won’t slip when tree is under water stress or otherwise not growing vigorously.

For banana grafts what is better, scraping the bark or skinning the four sides?
            Actively seeking any and all varieties
            #Sharing is caring
            Courtenay, BC 🇨🇦 zone 8a

Comment

• drbud
              drbud commented
              Editing a comment
              I skin the 4 sides because that is how I did it with pecan trees years ago. Had great success doing it the same way with figs last year.

Originally posted by Otis View Post
            Sorry for missing the new posts here guys! I can answer the million dollar question about whether this can be done on dormant rootstock. From my experience with it, you really need to have your rootstock awake or at least in the process of waking up, and dormant scion is ideal (but not 100% necessary as Ive used both successfully). Now I have also noted your rootstock can be in the early stages of waking up, and it need not be full blown actively growing for the bark to slip. For example, I use this technique all the time with easy to root cuttings that I put into my rooting box maybe a week to 10 days ahead of when I want to graft a more high value scion to and it works like a charm! I also have a couple trees I brought in from my garage that were fully dormant to use as rootstock for this grafting technique recently, and they began to wake up in just 5-7 days in my basement. I was able to do the banana graft on those as well 👍🏼
            WL: Fico Salam/Salame, Moro Di Caneva, Cosme Manyo, D’en Jaume Punta, Fracazanno Multicolore, Dels Ermitans, a nice spread somewhere in California that has the wasp! 😉
            My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY
            Cuttings Available 2019/20: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ifj96TTnQNCahc

Comment

• Jamie0507
              Jamie0507 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Figs4All Sure I can talk about it in more detail.. but perhaps its time for a new pictorial! I keep wanting to make a video of it, but I just haven’t had the chance. I’ll be doing more banana grafts on the cuttings either today or tomorrow so I will make a new pictorial to post here on this thread 👍🏼

• Rewton
              Rewton commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks - this is exactly what I wanted to know! Now to wake up some rootstock without filling my house with fungus gnats. Hmmm....

• Jamie0507
              Jamie0507 commented
              Editing a comment
              Go for it Steve!

That would be much appreciated.
            Northern VA, zone 7a/7b

Comment

• Jamie0507
              Jamie0507 commented
              Editing a comment
              I decided to start a new thread for this pictorial, but I will tag you when its posted 😉 I figure its better that way so anyone not already following this post may have a better chance of seeing it 👍🏼
          Working...
          X