X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: grafting asian pears onto european pear tree

I have a rather large european pear tree and I was wondering if anyone had successfully grafted an asian pear to a european pear tree?

There's a local farm stand that has a few varieties of asian pears and they said they'd be more than happy to sell me some asian pear scions.

thanks in advance.
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

My limited understanding is that yes you can though I have yet to do it, I have plenty of both trees with grafting space. Speaking of root stock, there are some rootstocks that will only support one or the other and some that will support both. I have read that many people with graft European Pears to Asian Pears, the Asian pear provides the European pear scions greater fire blight resistance, improved vigor and good resistance to pear decline, a disease that shortens the lifespan of pear trees. So I am confident in saying that most scions should graft with no problem, deeper research into exact cultivars may be needed.

Scott

Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Yup, I've done it, nothing special needs to be done. You can also graft them onto callery and bradford pears.
      https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
      SE PA
      Zone 6

Comment

ok, cool. Thanks. I'll give it a try and post the results.
        Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Working...
        X