X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paradiso Gene, Battaglia Main Crop

My very first Paradiso Gene, main crop. A bit disappointingly bland. Next is an Adriatic JH and a Battaglia main crop for comparison of jammy white figs. The latter two were berry like and excellent.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.
    Rafael
    Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Looks delish. The Adriatic JH i have and the Battaglia one I would like to have in my collection.
    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Back in the spring I received some cuttings of paradiso JM. Is the one I have the same as yours?
      Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
        Rafaelissimmo commented
        Editing a comment
        No Erick. I gave away my Paradiso Morle, this is different. JM is greenish/brownish colored, a bit larger, and very productive. Unfortunately, its huge eye is a target for wasps and ants. And it sours quickly if not picked in a timely fashion.

Ok thanks for the information. I seen on figtree (I think) where a man sat under his tree everyday. Is that the one you have?
      Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
        Rafaelissimmo commented
        Editing a comment
        If you mean Giovanni, I am of the view that Paradiso Gene is similar, but inferior to Giovanni's Paradiso. There is also an old story that goes back to Italy of an old man calling his tree "Paradiso." There is some controversy over whether the true Paradiso (from Gallesio's book) is closer to the Paradiso Gene or the JM. I think that the JM is clearly not the one in the book, but there are probably some communities in Italy that refer to the JM variant as Paradiso, so they are both valid.

Lovely fruits, Rafael.
      Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Thanks Frank!
        Rafael
        Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Thanks Rafael for clearing that up for me. After the cuttings rooted I started looking for info on them but couldn't find much. Or maybe I didn't look in the right place. If you ever let any cuttings go I would like to buy some from you..
          Thanks
          Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
            Rafaelissimmo commented
            Editing a comment
            Erick I want to try for brebas so I will not be pruning but maybe I can run an airlayer next spring, try me then.

Ok thanks
          Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

That looks like good eating. Which do you prefer between the Battaglia and the JH? Are they both similar in respect to hardiness and productivity?
            Brian
            Augusta, GA

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
              Rafaelissimmo commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Brian, I do prefer the JH, it is earlier and slightly better. They are otherwise quite similar. I think my JH are more vigorous growers as well. I am tempted to get a whole new Battaglia plant, I do not like the growth habit of mine.

• Rafaelissimmo
              Rafaelissimmo commented
              Editing a comment
              Both also are breba producers.

• Yeehova
              Yeehova commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the input. I have the JH and I guess I don't need the Battaglia now.

I had a Breba from BG last year, it was ok. I remember it as being slightly berry and sweet. Don't know if the Breba delayed main fruit production or our weird weather in 2014, but my main fruit did not develop until late. So no main fruit last year, but this year no breba, but at least 5-8main fruit. My BG is in a 15 gallon pot and in its 3rd year.
            Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
              Rafaelissimmo commented
              Editing a comment
              Von, I had two breba this year, a critter knocked one off before it could ripen. The main crop developed fairly quickly, but it is not an abundant crop. For a third year, double trunk tree, 15-20 fruits strikes me as paltry.

I agree Rafael, not a productive tree so far. I need to ask Michael, who I got the tree from, how many he gets. His tree is about 7 years old.
            Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

Working...
            X