X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Articles section

Would like to get a few volunteers to write articles on different aspects and techniques of fig growing, propagation, recipes? Sky is the limit. Have any ideas and are willing to write an article for the community?
    Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Anyone want to step up?
    Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

I'd be happy to help, though I don't how much I will get done until fall or winter when things slow down for me. I feel that many of these topics could use multiple articles to represent different ways of doing things (winterizing, for example).

Some topic ideas...
      - Fig basics - types of figs (San Pedro vs Common), how pollination works, breba vs main crop, hardiness, etc
      - Growing figs in pots, the basics - advantages/disadvantages, brief overviews of soils, fertilizer, watering, etc
      - Propagation techniques (this would need to be a book!) - Winter cuttings, summer cuttings, air layering, ground layering, tissue culture
      - Potting soils (has anyone gotten in touch with Tapla?)
      - Fertilizer
      - Ripening figs in short seasons/lengthening the fig season (we need dieseler)
      - Growing/choosing figs in cold climates
      - Winterizing figs (Taverna could write one for what he does)
      - Pruning basics (Pete could write this, or already has)
      - Different flavors of figs (Pete again)
      - Common problems - FMV, mites, nutrient deficiencies, critter control, diseases
      - Importance of good labels and records

I'll volunteer to write about potting soils and growing in cold figs in cold climates at the very least. I'd be happy to edit/curate other articles as needed, too.
      https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
      SE PA
      Zone 6

Comment

Kelby,
        I agree with the topic ideas, they're similar to the those in the Index of frequently referenced Topics, http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...erenced-topics where they could be linked.

My only add would be to recommend that the submitted articles be written from personal and anecdotal experiences and not conjecture.
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Along the lines of Pete's comments, it would be nice to have pictures wherever possible to aid the articles....pics also help demonstrate first hand knowledge.
          Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

Who holds/retains intellectual property rights?
            Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

The community I suppose......though if you post an article with instructions on how to build a working fusion reactor, it is mine.

Comment

Wills, Kelby,
                Will there be a basic format and structure to the articles, a la 1000 word maximum essays,
                http://scottberkun.com/2010/how-to-write-1000-words/ and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCoTIn5ncw0 as examples to distinguish them from topics?

Comment

I would like to write something and agree with Pete that it should be based on personal experience, and not conjecture, but also not on info trolled over the internet that anyone can dig for, ie if its already out there then no need to re-invent the wheel. However, even in personal experiences, there are personal things that are bound to provoke controversy, e.g. I do not like paper towel rooting for x reason, but other people not only swear by it, but have had the opposite experience to mine. How are we to handle such eventualities? Thanks for any replies.
                  Rafael
                  Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• AscPete
                    AscPete commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would think that your personal experiences and preferences are what's required in the articles, whether they are controversial or not. The 'eventuality' is that we will all disagree on some issues.

BTW, I never had much success with paper towels either and never really gave it a chance, but it will work properly if the pH of the water is adjusted to slightly acidic, but direct plant rooting methods are simpler and easier.

• Kelby
                    Kelby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I planned to add a caveat to anything I write saying something to the effect of "this is based on my experiences and may or may not work well for others."

I think it's also important (this goes for anything in life) to acknowledge that one doesn't know everything. I sure as heck don't!

Here's a topic, OP that was written with the intent that it could be copied into the Articles section.
                  http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...r-should-taste

Its still a work in progress...
                  Last edited by AscPete; 08-23-2015, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Paper towels work fine it's all about sterilization and moisture. I use regular tap water. However I prefer the cocoa coir route the best.

Comment

Working...
                    X