X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hative de Argentueil 2018

This is a cultivar that I really look forward to each year.

Hative d' Argentueil is a very intensely flavored fig... honey sweet, but with a perfect acidity to complement, and yet offset, its sweetness. The flavor is that of a lemony - berry syrup, and the skin is sweet and tender. The figs can be left on the tree to concentrate the flavors without fear of souring. Rating a 9.7/10 !

Click image for larger version  Name:	gCghkH.jpg Views:	2 Size:	73.8 KB ID:	346421

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ji5TbC.jpg Views:	1 Size:	96.8 KB ID:	346423
    CA 9b "May you sit under your own fig tree..." This metaphor, in use since Solomon, is a wish for the receiver's spirit to know peace, for their family to be secure, and for their life to be fruitful.

Looks awesome
    The "EXTRAS" Plant sale will START Aug 16th at 9 eastern, should be about 500 plants.

Comment

• crademan
      crademan commented
      Editing a comment
      WillsC is oh so right -- those fig photos are gorgeous, Bluemalibu.

• kubota1
      kubota1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure does!

Looks incredible!
    It has been a very vigorous grower for me and very prolific too but may not ripen in time this year.

Comment

WOW! Those pics of that beautiful fig should be used under the encyclopedic heading: “WHAT THE PERFECT FIG IS”. I’m so impressed.
      Wish list: sangue dolce, HdA, Pasteliere, Luv, CC, colonel littmans,
      Princeton, NJ. Z6B

Comment

Looks amazing definitely one I’ll have to add to my small orchard. I found whatever blue suggest works well in my neck of the woods.
        Fallbrook,ca hater of melon figs

Comment

What a world of difference caprification makes . Looks good doug, nothing like an uncaprified version though. We are surely missing out
          May the Figs be with you!
          ​​​​​

Comment

That is beautiful!! And sounds even more delicious than it looks.
            Eric - So Cal zone 10a

Comment

Excellent post Blue! They look amazing.
              Robert - HZ7A

Comment

Amazing!! I am anxiously awaiting mine to ripen!
                Wish List: I need another fig tree like I need a hole in the head.

Comment

Like Laura, I am also waiting on mine to ripen. The plant is really doing very well in a 3 gallon and has topped out at about 9 feet. I will need to prune it down to manageable height for winter storage and then will up pot into a 9 gallon in spring. I know the fruit won't be on a par with BlueMalibu's grown in fig heaven.... but I can hope....
                  Tony - Zone 6A
                  WL- Popone, Craven's Craving

Comment

They look great Blue!
                    Zone 5B: Rotterdam, NY

YouTube

Comment

HOLY HELL, DOUG. I'm SO glad I have two of these now.
                      Zone 7A - Philadelphia
                      Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Comment

Now I can see why you highly recommend this one. It looks fabulous!

I guess I'll have to get this one now, too...
                        Tom Hall
                        Sacramento, Ca / Zone 9b
                        W/L: Côtio Verdeal, Paraíso, Inchário Branco, CdDB, Violeta, Dolce Cuore

Comment

Nice fig!

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

Ok, can someone help me figure out how to block Blue’s threads?
                              Everytime he posts my wishlist gets longer.
                              Internet listings get stronger.
                              And my wallet gets smaller.

I’m just kidding, thanks for sharing your knowledge Blue!
                              Lake Charles, LA 9a

Comment

One more for my list.
                                North Central Florida, Zone 9a.
                                WL- I-258, WM #1, Madeira Island Black

Comment

WOW!
                                  Alistair from Chattanooga, Zone 7b - Proverbs 27:18
                                  Wishlist: Bass' Favorite, Black Tuscan, Campaniere, CdDB, Craven's Craving, La Bourgeoise, Maltese Beauty, Moscatel Preto, Sao Miguel Roxo, Sodus Sicilian

Comment

Looking delicioso! This is one that I still need to get around to acquiring but I need to figure out who to boot first.
                                    Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                                    Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• Bluemalibu
                                      Bluemalibu commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Indeed Calvin, each local climate has such a huge impact upon the performance of individual cultivars... it's this reason that I am trialing so very many varieties. Those that turn out to be superstars in our blast furnace summer will have earned their spot in the sun, and also have a couple of their clones added to the orchard alongside them.

Very nice!
                                    Looking for Black Bursa, Paratjal Rimada

Comment

Those are beautiful figs for sure. My unpollinated HdA by comparison are barely bird bait. Those without the wasp might want to consider what they wish for. And my records say my plant came from Doug.
                                      Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
                                      http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

• ALOHA2002
                                        ALOHA2002 commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        Wise words to temper those of us with a raging case of fig fever! Thanks, fruitnut. :-)

Well drats fruitnut, I didn't realize HDA needed to be pollinated. I really wanted a tropical fig and the flavor profile on HDA really appealed to me. I have been searching for that elusive little fig tree for several days. It...It's so hard to let go lol.
                                      Wishlist: A bigger yard.

Comment

• Bluemalibu
                                        Bluemalibu commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        HdA is a common fig. But it apparently is one that really benefits from caprification. (Remember: location, location, location! ;-)

Argenteuil is a northern suburb of Paris. Paris has no fig wasps. I'm assuming that Hative d'Argenteuil can't be THAT bad without the wasp. But evidently it is lacking something in Texas. If I had to guess what the variety might get in Northern France that it doesn't get in Alpine TX, it'd be ample water.
                                      Joe, Z6B, RI. Hopes realized -- weather is finally warmer, drier.

Comment

• fruitnut
                                        fruitnut commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        You could be right. HdA might be like Smith, ie needs more water to make decent size when unpollinated. The VdB planted in the same 25 gal pot has good size. Not huge but perfectly nice bite sized figs. For me Smith and HdA behave similarly only HdA is even smaller.

HdA doesn't need to be pollinated. It's a common fig. It's just that my fruits have been tiny. The VdB in the same pot has figs 2-3 times as big and better tasting. I'd much rather grow Emerald Strawberry which is in a nearby pot. Those fruits are 6 times bigger than HdA and in my dry conditions are a great tasting fig.
                                      Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
                                      http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

My HdA gets lots of water from my drip and appears to be trying to touch the Moon... I small tactical error on my part; I should have forced it to branch when it was only 6 ft and i will have to prune it down to man size in the fall after it goes dormant. meanwhile, I am hoping to taste this fig this fall and see what a second leaf JdA can do in 6A NY with adequate winter protection and a GH head start....
                                        Tony - Zone 6A
                                        WL- Popone, Craven's Craving

Comment

• jrdewhirst
                                          jrdewhirst commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Tony -- I ask this admitting my ignorance, sitting here in RI with two 1st year HdA cuttings growing in pots. "Hative" in French translates as "hasty" (i.e., early). So I assume that it's a fairly early ripener, even in cool locations. Do you know different?

• Fygmalion
                                          Fygmalion commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          No, Joe, I do not know yet... last year was first leaf for my plant and no ripe figs and this year the figs don't look like they are going to be any earlier than mid September considering its August 9th. And, as mentioned, I had given my HdA a head start in the GH after over wintering in the basement and starting to bud out there before transferring first to the garage and then to the GH after the winter shade cloth was removed....
                                      Working...
                                      X