X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown Abington 2015

This is an unknown from Philadelphia that was distributed in the spring of 2014 by a member of the 'other forum' as rescue cuttings from a tree that was being cut down. I have not seen any one else post on this one. The leaf looks like somewhat like a Mt Etna type, but I am not experienced enough to state that with certainty. It is way ahead of my few "Mt Etna types" like Hardy Chicago, Sal's (EL), Bryant Dark and Dominick's fig (although not all of those are being grown the same, all started the fig shuffle at the same time in April and all are young plants). It was sweet, tasty, with 'figgy' flavor. This is my second main crop fig this year, picked this AM, one day after my Lattarulla. It is growing in a 4g SIP, with about a dozen more figs on the plant. Pics of leaf and fig below.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	abington leaf cropped.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	34708

Name:	abington cut.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	34709

Name:	abington uncut.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	34707
    Last edited by eboone; 08-14-2015, 08:51 AM.
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Thanks for sharing the photos and info...
    I don't have this cultivar, but from the photos it looks similar to the Etna Types.

The Etna Types are mostly Mid Season main crop varieties. There are only a few Etna Type cultivars that consistently produce early main crop figs. Good Luck
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Looks good! My wife was born in Abington.
      https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
      SE PA
      Zone 6

Comment

A couple pics of the next 2 figs of this one picked this AM. This fig plant, like many of mine, had a few brebas on it that dropped off in May during the fig shuffle when the plant was exposed to 38 degrees and I failed to get them back in the garage.

These two again were extremely good, very sweet and with a vague fruit flavor, a little more ripe than the first one, I think, shared with my honey I was intending to leave them on the tree until shriveled (have not done that yet, I am a rookie) but we had a big rainstorm starting about 4 AM so I snatched them off at daybreak.

Comparing them with the others that are classified as Mt Etna types, the green figs of this one seem larger than the rest of mine, and the Bryant Dark and Old Brooklyn Italian (both in 5g SIPs) have a few hard purple fruit on them, and the Sal's EL (in ground since late June), Chicago Hardy ( 2 in pots) and MBvs (in pot) are nowhere close to having ripe figs. All were 'shuffled' in April and May and stored the same in the winter. Of course all of these are young plants so hard to draw conclusions yet, but I am hopeful that this one continue to be earlier than the others in the future.

[I will stop posting more pics on this one now ]

Name:	Unk Abington uncut figs.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	35665

Name:	U abington figs eye.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	35666

Name:	U abington figs cut.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	35667

Ed
        SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Larger, earlier and tasty is combination that is hard to beat! This was a good find, and I like the story on how it got spread around. Thanks for sharing.
          Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
          Wishlist- earliest maincrop varieties

Comment

Eboone was kind enough to send me cuttings of this one in a trade, and my resulting 2nd year plant was the only Mt Etna type which retained it's breba. Picked this morning and consumed on the spot-it was on the small side but was good quality with sweetness and berry flavor similar to other Mt Etna maincrop figs. Sorry, no photo. The maincrop figs have developed quite quickly, and I am anticipating them already. Thanks Ed!

Comment

• eboone
              eboone commented
              Editing a comment
              Does the main crop seem ahead of any other Mt Etna's you have?
              For me, it did 2 years ago but last year it was about the same time as my other Mt Etnas-though I had some problems managing my plants well last year because of an injury.
              This year a few figs look to be coloring up before any other Mt Etna, but too soon to say for sure

• zone5figger
              zone5figger commented
              Editing a comment
              They do seem somewhat ahead, time will tell..

A little more on this rescued fig...
            Again this year, as in 2015, this was the earliest of my Mt Etna types. In 2015 I did not have an RdB to compare with, but the first main crop was on 8/14. In 2016 my plant had some issues when I let it dry out (I could not manage my plants well after a back injury, the SIP blew over in a storm and I did not get it back upright until many days later), and it lost a lot of leaves and fruited later.

This year the first main crop fruit was on 8/21 (1 week after RdB, 9 days after Florea). The next Mt Etna's to fruit were a Salem Dark on 8/23 and a Chicago Hardy 8/27.

I did not hear of anyone else who managed to get cuttings to root from the initial distribution of cuttings from the cut down tree in 2014 (but there could have been some who were no longer active on forums). Seems to be a worthwhile variety, I will try to get this one distributed a bit more over the next few years. My plant is in a 5g SIP and so there is not a lot of extra wood, but I want to get a copy in ground, where there will lots of cuttings to spread.

This year the leaves are not quite typical of other Mt Etnas as in the original leaf photo above, not sure why. Two leaf pics to follow:
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
            Last edited by eboone; 08-28-2017, 11:13 AM.
            Ed
            SW PA zone 6a

Comment

This variety has begun to yield ripe fruit before any other Mt Etna type in my yard, roughly a week after IC, Florea, RDB ripened first fruits. Happy to have it, thanks again Ed!

Comment

Ed, I'd very much appreciate getting a couple of cuttings when they become available.
                Indeed, I'm the person who originally found the posting on Craigslist and sent the word out through the Figs4Fun community that the tree needed to be rescued.
                I received a few of those original cuttings and grew them out, but I lost the little trees in a tragic winter freeze mass killing (following a back injury, LOL!)
                We'll have to go back and search the original F4F thread and learn who else received cuttings. There were more than a few sent out.
                Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

Working...
                X