X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pastiliere

I picked my 1st maincrop Pastiliere today, and thoroughly enjoyed it. This fig gets a bad rap for dropping fruit, but I think this eases up as the tree matures. This fig was good sized at 52 grams, really sweet and juicy, and a very figgy/berry flavor that lingers. My tree came from Raintree Nursery last year, and is a healthy, vigorous, upright grower. A very good looking tree, IMO. Well worth the patience, it is a great fig. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3876.JPG
Views:	484
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	34892

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3877.JPG
Views:	452
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	34893

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3879.JPG
Views:	476
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	34894
    Gary USDA 9A
    Sebastopol, CA

Now that's what I think a fig should look like. I didn't realize that it's such a large fig.
    Art
    Western Pa -6a

Comment

• figgary
      figgary commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree Art. When I think of figs, they look like this one, and the size is just right. It also seems to be one of my earliest to ripen maincrop.

mine has a way to go before it gets to that stage Gary....I'm patient....

just up'd to gallons yesterday
    Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

• figgary
      figgary commented
      Editing a comment
      You started yours from cuttings, Ross?

• rusty hooks
      rusty hooks commented
      Editing a comment
      si....the one you gave me from UCD...I made 2....both doing well

• figgary
      figgary commented
      Editing a comment
      My bad, I forgot. Glad they are growing, it's a good one.

That does look like a tasty fig. This is one that I have been thinking about acquiring for quite a while.
    Steve
    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
    WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

• figgary
      figgary commented
      Editing a comment
      It's very tasty, Steve. Happy to send you cuttings in January.

Gary I bet it tasted as good as it looks. Do you have the wasp in your area? My Pastiliere gets full of figs but I never get one ripe. Rafed said it takes awhile but a mature tree will produce some ripe figs. I would be happy to just have one fig ripen this year.
    Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
    Tony
    Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

I don't know about the bad rap, but my second year tree is about five feet tall and
      very healthy. It has dropped all 24 figs it had.

Gary, yours looks very nice. Thanks for sharing.
      newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• figgary
        figgary commented
        Editing a comment
        Is yours in ground, Mike?

It really did, Tony. No wasps here yet. I wonder if it's a fig that needs a lot of root room, a BIG pot or in ground. I planted this one directly from the 1 gallon Raintree sent it in, to the 1/2 wine barrel in the photo. I liked it enough that I got a 2nd one in the Fall, and planted it directly into the ground. A few drop, but many set and look to be ripening. The tree in the photo is 16 months from 1 gallon, so it grew fast.
      Gary USDA 9A
      Sebastopol, CA

Comment

Great looking fig Gary, I can't believe how big the tree is if you only got it last year. That's 3-4 years of growth for me. I don't know, I have a tree that may get replaced one day by this one. Maybe one more year.
        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

I've had one of these from rainforest since last year and I just put it in ground but a week ago, hopefully it will look as good as yours in time.
          Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Gary, mine is in a 10 gal pot. It looks to be not quiet as filled out as yours but close.

I will be moving it to a 20 gal pot or putting it in ground this spring. I need to decide which
            very few others are going in ground where I have just a few spots remaining.
            newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• figgary
              figgary commented
              Editing a comment
              It's hard to figure why some drop figs and others not so much. Maybe I've just been lucky. They all seem to grow well enough.

About the fruit drop, Baud said it could be related to high N low K fertilizers.
            Mine is a second year tree and dropped only 1 of the 16 figs so far.
            I've been using a 3-6-18 from the moment the first small figlets appeared.
            Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
            Zone 8B

Comment

• figgary
              figgary commented
              Editing a comment
              That's good info, Rob. Mine are fed with fish emulsion, rock phosphate, oyster shell and compost.

• AscPete
              AscPete commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not growing Pastiliere but I've observed healthier figs when Calcium and minerals are increased in the potting mix...
              Adding Gypsum (alone) eliminated fig necrotic spots in an Unknown Etna Type fig tree.

Thanks for the tip on the fertilization, Rob. I'll have to try that next year.
            Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
            Tony
            Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

figgary do you think they changed the inventory? This one doesn't look as good as yours: https://raintreenursery.com/fruit-tr...g-gal-pot-d342
              Get On The Map: http://www.PHiGGY.ORG
              Growing Zones 6b and 9b: Listed here http://bit.ly/PHiGGY-Figs
              WL: BFF, Open to other ideas

Comment

• ramv
                ramv commented
                Editing a comment
                Raintree photos cannot be relied on.
                Their plant is true to variety. I posted photos last year of fruit I got from their cuttings.

• Evdurtschi
                Evdurtschi commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m so excited for this one. If I hadn’t seen Ram post about it, I never would have believed Raintree had a good one. Their pic is awful. 😂

Hey Phiggy, that's the same photo they always used. I called and spoke with them before I ordered it, and was told that their tree came from France. After a year, and I saw how good it was, I ordered another. It is one of my favorites here in my climate. Maybe I should let them use my photo?
              Gary USDA 9A
              Sebastopol, CA

Comment

• Zeamaizing
                Zeamaizing commented
                Editing a comment
                My avatar is a Pastilliere.

• Phiggy
                Phiggy commented
                Editing a comment
                You should, their photo is awful. Do you have the wasps where you are?

• figgary
                figgary commented
                Editing a comment
                No Phiggy, wasp free here.

It looks amazing and very tasty. It's on my wishlist now.

Comment

Garry's pictures will definitely do that Rigo007!!! I second that Evdurtschi, he would be doing them a huge favor!!!
                Luis, sacramento CA 9b
                wish list: BNR, Zaffiro, CdDM

Comment

Really nice good looking fig figgary if it taste as good it looks I’m definitely would like to get one too! Thanks for sharing
                  Zone 8a. Virginia

Comment

Working...
                  X