X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few new to me figs tonight.

I started in 2012 with 2 figs, a HC and a "BT" not, the "BT" not has yet to give me any figs. HC has always been reliable. In 2013, I added a few more figs to my small collection, hoping that I could extend the fruiting. Well in 2013, I got HC and nothing else, my new trees were too small. So I added more to my small collection (sounds familiar to anyone?) again to get a bigger selection and to extend my fruiting season in 2014.....so we come to 2015 and finally, I can say I'm tasting more than just HC. BTW, I love the taste of my HC and think of it as one of my favorites.

Tonight's selection was a bit of a surprise. I had bought a Colasanti dark and white at a grocery store. I didn't know what they were but it was during my "any fig tree is a good fig tree" buying days. Well, I got lucky because tonight I was able to taste the Dark and despite its similarity to HC in leaves, fruit ripening time, size, color inside and out....the taste was surprisingly different. HC (8.5)to me is sweet berry, rich and jammy. Colasanti Dark (8.5-9)is the same but had an almost blueberry flavor. Prior to tasting the two figs I would have bet money they were the same.

The other nice surprise was Negronne. It was very berry, sweet and rich. We gave it a 9.

Black Greek fell off when I was trying to tie a bag on it, so no taste. But the one I had a week ago was very berry, sweet and rich, another 9. Vern's BT not? Was not very good, it needed more days. Sicillian Red was jammy, sweet and rich, not much berry flavors, we gave it a 7.5-8. Atreano OR, we like it better when it's not too mushy, so we tend to pick them before the sugar spots start, we gave it a 6.5, sweet rich and figgy. Hope you enjoyed the report.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Von, Northern VA 7a

Excellent report, Von. I am excited for colasanti dark, and even more so now due to your description of it.

Comment

Great detail, and nice number of interesting figs.

No reason that HC and CD can't be the same. I've had Mt Etna trees and others produce figs that taste very, very different from one year to the next.
      Tony WV 6b
      https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Von it looks like you are on your way to a great collection
        andreas-patras Peloponnisos Greece zone 9a

Comment

Thanks Bill and Tony. And you are right Tony it could still be a HC, I have a few more that are ripening now and hope to compare them again. I'm going to keep an eye on the Colasanti dark in the coming year and see if it still develops different flavors.

Andreas, I have a great collection due to generous fig friends! And hope to add a few more great figs, especially some of the figs you have spoken about!
          Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

Nice harvest. What dud you think of the Vern's Brown Turkey? Did you happen to get a chance to try the Colasanti White yet?
            Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste, Rubado, Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra

Comment

Don, the Vern's BT not? was not very good, it needed a few more days. It was barely sweet and not much else. Last year the same plant was sweet and rich, it might not be a Vern's BT, and there is a good possibility it won't stay in my collection.

Colasanti white was a surprise. I didn't know what to expect from this one, but it was really sweet. Tooth hurting sweet! I had a deformed fruit so no pictures and was expecting to toss the fig. But on a whim decided to cut it open, it was amber inside. I shared it with my hubby and he has a sweet tooth, but also said it was shockingly sweet. I have a few more and will post it when they ripen.
              Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

Von, we probably discussed this before but your Sicilian Red is quite different than mine and others I have seen (which are very similar to Sal'sC). I'm hoping I can taste mine in a few weeks. Anyway, good work on a great collection of figs.
                Steve
                D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

Great looking collection of figs.
                  Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Thanks Jerry.

Steve, I remembered what you said about it being spicy? And when I tasted it, I didn't quite get that flavor, it might be because my trees are still young? Mgginva, who I got this tree from has been growing it for about 7 years, so my 2-3 years old tree might not be mature yet.
                    Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

Working...
                    X