X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this fig look familiar to anybody?

I found this tree 2 years ago while I was out fig hunting I was wondering if anyone had any idea what variety it might be? I started it from a cutting and it is turned into a nice little tree, loaded with figs

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	35403Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	35404Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	35405Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	35406Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	35407Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	35408Click image for larger version

Name:	7.JPG
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	35409
    Wish List -

Would anyone like to take a guess?
    Wish List -

Comment

No guess but I'm surprised anybody would plant a chestnut tree near a residential doorway! The bur spines are pretty dang bad.
      My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

• Dave
        Dave commented
        Editing a comment
        Harvey does that look like an edible chestnut tree?

• HarveyC
        HarveyC commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, a Castenea species. Best to refrigerate right after dropping but then cure (store in open at room temperature for 3-5 days to allow some dehydration and conversion of starches to sugar and then slit ventilation holes and roast. Enjoy.

• Dave
        Dave commented
        Editing a comment
        Harvey I am ashamed to admit this but the last time I had a chestnut was probably 35 years ago 2 weeks ago my wife bought some at the grocery store and roasted them with a little butter let me tell you I thought I died and went to heaven absolutely delicious I'm hooked for life

Your right about that Harvey I remember when we were kids there was a tree in the neighborhood I think it was Horse Chestnuts and once in a while all the kids in the neighborhood would have a Chestnut fight , it hurt and definitely drew blood LOL
      Wish List -

Comment

btt
        Wish List -

Comment

Hey Dave, nice fig and chestnut trees. Thanks for sharing . Check out Chico strawberry/ Saratoga on f4f varieties and run a search on the forum. Looks very similar to yours.good luck on your search for answers!!

Comment

Thanks Chris for the reply I looked at the Chico strawberry/ Saratoga on the outside it resembles it 100% including the eye of the fig it just seems to have a different leave and the interior seems to be a little more red on the ones I've seen
            Wish List -

Comment

• Chrisk
              Chrisk commented
              Editing a comment
              You're very welcome Dave, uhh the mysterious world of figs. Just when you think you have it fig- ured out.... Great looking find nevertheless .

Looks really good Dave. Have you had the chance to taste it? Would be nice to hear what it tastes like. Could it possibly be a hybrid or sport of some other cultivar?

Comment

• Dave
              Dave commented
              Editing a comment
              Not sure if it is a hybrid or a sport ? I found it in an old Italian neighborhood looks like it has been there forever unfortunately the house turned into a sortof tenement house the tenants actually drive there cars into the trees &quot; Oviously they are not fig lovers &quot; Unfortunately I don't remember the exact taste even though I stood under the tree for a half an hour eating every ripe fig I could see I'll definitely take note of the flavor in 2016

Almost identical to leaves, flesh and shape of my claimed Sicilian white, the only difference is my ostiole is not red, its white. Close but no cigar i guess

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
            May the Figs be with you!
            ​​​​​

Comment

Looking at the three photos of the leaves you can see two distinct patterns. The five lobed leaves look almost identical to the Blackjack and the three lobed very similar to the three lobed Negrone leaves. Very strange foliage and a beautiful one at that!

Comment

• Dave
                Dave commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll definitely look into those leave patterns

I don't know Matty we may have a winner Here's more photos surely resembles yours What do you think?

Name:	IMG_1687.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	57755Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02111.jpg
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	57756
              Wish List -

Comment

• BrooklynMatty
                BrooklynMatty commented
                Editing a comment
                Dave - I think it's very close from what I see, the latest flesh pic seems alot darker though. I don't think weather should be too different for us for that to vary, so not sure. The Sicilian White is a pinkish hue, yours is more deeper reds.

How big are they getting? I've seen 40-50 grams generally.

Either way it looks great

• Dave
                Dave commented
                Editing a comment
                Matty I didn't weigh them but they are a relatively small fig I'll get more information this Spring and be able to compare them to the Sicilian white Thanks for posting the pictures of your figs Dave

• BrooklynMatty
                BrooklynMatty commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds good, also this will be first year the plant can produce brebas (if its bifera) since its been grown outdoors by my neighbor and i have it in a pot now. So that might also help identify it. Good luck!

Tenant home? Drive into Fig? You eat all ripe fig and no you tree??? Time for ninja suit and ninja shoes and some pruning shears and big bag!
              Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
              1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
              2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Mike I just placed my order on Amazon I'll let you know how I make out

Name:	ninja-shadow-suit-3150805.jpg
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	58047
                Wish List -

Comment

Ahahahaha ha!!!!!
                  Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                  1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                  2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment