X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orphan and Preto

Hi Folks, just trying my hand at posting pics. Here are a couple good ones, Preto and Orphan, both very tasty figs, Preto is exceptional as all who have tasted it can attest.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Photos of the inside or it didn't happen
    Bob C.
    Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

Welcome Barry. Good to see you posting. Thanks for posting the pics. My first Preto
      is just a day away.
      newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Good to see old friends here Newnandog. Harborseal, Oh it happened, several times now, I just tear them open and eat, but I'll try to control myself long enough for interior pics too

Comment

Hi Barry,

Your Orphan is early! Mine is in-ground and will need at least 3-4 weeks.

Comment

Potted figs seem to fruit a bit early, especially if I put them in a warm microclimate

Comment

Good to see you Barry! Lovely looking figs.
              Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Hi Barry,

Do you have any tricks to make Orphan more productive?

My tree is 4 years old and is very vigorous, pushing a lot of vegetative growth every year. It has large leave-leave separation, but not much branching. What puzzled me is that it has not been quite productive at all.

Thanks!

-Wayne
                Maryland (Zone 6b)

Comment

• drphil69
                  drphil69 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A possible problem is too much nitrogen can produce vegetative growth at the expense of figs. E.g. regular miracle grow is high in N.

• Laeotis
                  Laeotis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How much is too much? Like is a little good but a lot isn't

Good to see you here Barry.
                Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Wayne, no tricks, just the usual cultural treatment, lime fertilizer big pot sun etc I will say too thhat Orphan for me is kinda on a year and off a year with te off year producing only a few figs

Comment

Thanks, Barry, for the helpful information.

Comment

Just for you Harborseal, another Preto
                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I just rooted Orphan fig tree. It grew very fast. Even faster then brown turkey. I heard about good things about this tree. I hope this tree fruits a lot too.

Comment

Thanks for that BLB ! Can you tell us more about Orphan ,what is the flavor/taste like ? I got a nice young tree in ground and did suffer a little with frost last winter ,came back strong [my zone is 9b ] but no figs to be seen yet . I got my tree from Read's Nursery in England before they close down and looking at your fig ,i'am very happy that i did .

Comment

Working...
                          X