X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown Purple (Grasa) 2015

This fig was received as a cutting last year from Grasa, a contributor on the f4f forum. It was a plant she had bought at a nursery many years ago, but had forgotten the name. She described it as growing unprotected in Seattle and producing lots of great tasting large purple figs. I got one from it as a rooted cutting last year that was very good. This is the first of this year. This fig was a bit aberrant, asymmetric and a little larger than the rest of those on the plant. The eye was huge, and it was starting to get a few cracks on it, so I picked it not realizing that the underside was still a little green. The eye on the rest of the figs of this plant look much smaller. Despite not being as soft or ripe as the others I have tried this year, the taste was very sweet, outstanding, juicy. Some kind of unknown 'fruit' flavor to it as well. Sorry, got too excited to take a pic of the inside (will add more pics with next fig, looks like maybe about a week off).

Here are pics of the fig and the typical leaf. I know Grasa distributed this to quite a few people, was wondering if anyone else here was growing it or and if they had any idea what it is?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Unk Purple (Grasa).JPG
Views:	69
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	35519

Name:	Unk Purple (Grasa) 2.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	35520

Name:	Unk Purple Grasa eye.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	35521

Name:	leaf Unk Purple (Grasa).JPG
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	35522
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

I have one these as well (from Grasa) that is the same age. That is strange about the eye, because the few figs I have gotten from mine have had really tight eyes, like you said the rest on your tree appear to have. Does yours have FMV? How is it growing?

For some reason, mine has been really struggling this year and has dropped all the fruit it has attempted to produce. I think nematodes might be getting to it.

I am trying to decide if I should hold on to mine or let it go. But like you said, the few figs I got from it last year (as a first year tree) were really good. Mine kind of reminded me of a honeydew.

Comment

Mine seems to have grown about the same as my average fig of same age, growing in 5g SIP, considering my relatively short growing season and the 6 weeks of mostly rain in early summer. The leaves look like it has a minor case of FMV. As I said, this fig seemed a little misshapen, the eye was open for a few weeks then really spread out. The others on the tree look pretty normal.

It is certainly a keeper for me based on my limited results so far. Since she got it from a nursery, it really is likely a known variety, wish I knew what it was.
      Ed
      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Is this a Breba fig Ed? According to your zone and the size difference from the other figs on the same tree I would assume it is. Maybe that is why the large open eye and so so appearance !

Comment

Definitely not a breba, Chris, it grew on this year's wood.
          Just a mutant fig LOL
          Ed
          SW PA zone 6a

Comment

A few pics of the Unknown Purple from Grasa. This one was less quality due to the recent rains, fig started to split and was not as sweet. Still quite large. In the pictures below with 2 figs, it is the larger fig on the left (the other is Black Triana).

Name:	unk grasa and black triana 1.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	41959

Name:	unk grasa and black triana 2.JPG
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	41960

Name:	unk grasa and black triana 3.JPG