X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: disappearing yellow jacket nest

Anyone know what caused this hole in the ground? There was a yellow jacket(?) nest here that I never got around to getting rid of. I noticed a big hole there instead today, and it looks like something got rid of them for me.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Johnny
    Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Skunk attack. They love jacket grubs.
    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Skunk? I never knew they dug out yellow jacket grubs. I guess that's a mixed blessing. The yellow jacket nest is gone, but now I have to make sure the kids give the black and white furry critters a wide berth if they're coming this close to the house.
      Johnny

Comment

You don't have to tell them Johnny. They can learn first hand. No, I won't get that close again.
        Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

I had that occur once in my yard. I thought it was a racoon, you can often smell when a skunk has been around and I've never seen one in the neighborhood. Not saying for sure it wasn't a skunk, I just never even considered it.
          Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
          Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Yes. They do have quite the fragrance and you can smell that they were there if you are there soon after they were especially the amount of time they would have spent at a jacket nest. They are rarely seen even where they are plentiful. When I was a trapper many years ago I caught them accidentally occasionally but rarely saw one otherwise.

Comment

Lots of fun taking skunks out of traps. I knew a guy who said the best thing to do is dispatch them and then bury them under your trap. The coyotes go nuts for the prize. I never did, I just dispatched them with a .22 and came back a month later.
              Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
              Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

I'm with you Calvin, I month is nothing compared to trying to get the smell off your hands. And that trap is worthless for quite some time. Boiling, dying and waxing didn't seem to completely remove it.

Comment

The reason for the skunk traps being so good for coyote and foxes is the smell....it covers up human scent, masks it and to a fox the smell of skunk is natural. But get that on your hands and you will be unpopular with the girls for AWHILE.

While I hate agreeing with Hershell I can almost guarantee what dug that yellow jacket nest was a skunk.
                  Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Maybe it was the honey badger.

Comment

Originally posted by cis4elk View Post
                      I thought it was a racoon,
                      It could have been a raccoon.I had a yellow jacket nest under a rotting log in my garden.I was checking my garden at night and shined my flashlight on a raccoon that had dug up the nest and was eating the larva.

Skunks eat honey bees too...so far no problems with my hives yet.

Barry
                      NE GA ,Zone 7b Low Temperature of 4F in 2015,17F in 2016,17F in 2017,6F in 2018,17F in 2019

Comment

I see skunks around my house all of the time. Here is a "cute" family of five strolling through the neighborhood. I don't think I've had any damage from them...Just little holes where they dig up grubs. I just leave them alone and stay out of their way. Luckily, the cat did that day too.
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                        Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Wouldn't you know it, a few weeks after you all identify a skunk as my digging culprit, I find a skunk in my live trap (was trying to catch a groundhog). I covered that bad boy up with a blanket, propped the trap door open, and ran like hell.
                          Johnny

Comment

I'm with Hershell....skunk did that. It happened to my JH Adriatic 2 years ago. The exact same thing!
                            Dennis
                            Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

Working...
                            X