X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Fall Air Layering

Been doing some air layering, using some gallon pots on my larger figs and the old foam bowls from last Winter indoors grow on the smaller figs. Haven't done this with foam so I guess it's another experiment. I like they can be customized to fit the exact limb you want to root.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 10 photos.

Great idea, Charlie. I need a window to see roots on my air layers. I've noticed some are much later putting out roots than others, even if air layered at the same time on the same tree.
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

I guess you have a longer growing season than me, right Charlie (Ark?)? Have you started airlayers this late or later before with success? My growing season really ends at end of Sept usually, and we start to get some cool weather in Sept, so I think fig growth will really slow down in a few weeks. I just started some air layers today to see how they would work.
      Ed
      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• Charlie
        Charlie commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes the ones last year were pretty late and all survived. Checked the date and it was 9/7/14.

Hey Frank. Here's a few more since posting the first time.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Added a few more today. The Desert King was purchased as a tissue culture last year and was very small, lots of stems. The other pic is a grouping of layers, right to left, Olympian, two Ischia, two Vasilika Sika and an Emerald Strawberry. On the far side not seen are a Latarulla Italian Honey and Beall that I owe somebody that didn't get sent last year.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Wow, very interesting! I have been wanting to try air-layering myself but I thought it may be too late in the season to get them going in time. Like Ed, I also have a shorter growing season and it's already getting down into the higher 50's here at night. I'm in northeastern PA (Zone 6A), I wonder if I could get away with it if I did the air layers today? What growing zone are you in Charlie?
          My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
          https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

I'm in zone 7b, just a bit South of Fort Smith, Arkansas. Woooooo Fig

Comment

This is a kinda neat root indicator. Busting out the seams!
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Hi Charlie : Do you water them often ? How ofter if needed ?

Comment

• Charlie
                Charlie commented
                Editing a comment
                The ones in sealed up foam bowls I never watered extra unless some got in around the stems. The open top ones I covered with wood chips mulch and watered every 3-4 days just a little while watering pots. Media for all my layers this year is about 50/50 wal mart compost I got on clearance and clay cat litter, big bag $3 at the dollar store.

Noted with many thanks............ Charlie

Comment

Removed lid on Green Ischia to check for roots.
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                X