X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Propagating a magnolia tree

Has anyone had any experience rooting a magnolia tree? How did you do it?

I've tried air layers unsuccessfully the last two years.

I also tried rooting in water, sand, perlite, and potting mix with and without rooting hormone. Nothing seems to work for me.
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

I tried the last two years with various methods but still nada, nothing, zip, zero. I'm currently trying to root cuttings in water with no luck as of yet. There is a very slight chance on two of them but I'm not getting my hopes up.
    Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
    Tony
    Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Seeds work well. My squirrels usually take care of them before having the figs for a desert
      USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

I had thought about seeds but I wanted to propagate it for the fragrant flowers and was trying to get a head start. I was hoping to not have to wait seven years. I guess I should have started a seedling in the beginning. It might be faster than trying to get something to root, hah.
        Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Seedling Mags. will not, unless it's a species, have the same characteristics as the parent/hybrid plant. Mags are usually grafted unto an understock. Seeds will probably need to be stratified before sowing, and you may have a very long wait for the first flowers. Good luck.

Frank

Comment

• don_sanders
            don_sanders commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmm, I didn't try grafting. I suppose I could graft a branch onto one of the seedlings that pops up.

A lot of nurseries in CA sell magnolias, it is one of the most popular trees here. I may ask them next time I am there about the propagation and check the prices. Are you interested in any special variety?

Comment

Thanks. I'd be curious to know their propagation methods.

The one I'm trying to propagate is in my yard. I'm not sure what variety it is but is has nice big white fragrant flowers that smell good for about a month every year. You can smell it through most of the front yard. I was trying to make copies of it for a friend.

Comment

Don,
              It seems they can be propagated relatively easily via a cutting or AL.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-ma...ing-48867.html

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/clone-m...ree-45826.html

Maybe your timing was off a bit?

Comment

Greenfig-

Thanks for the links. Interesting information regarding propagation techniques. Air-layering and rooted cuttings are the way to go. Seeds take too long to produce expected results.... IMO.

Frank

Comment

Working...
                X