X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different leaf shape at it's most extreme

My Black Triana came from Joe Morle of figtrees.net. When it was growing in a pot everything was normal, but a year after I planted it in ground is when the leaf shape changed dramatically on one branch. As you can see the normal leaves are basically 3 lobed and wide. A branch that grew from below ground level developed long skinny fingers that don't resemble the normal leaf at all. Last year the figs that were on that branch didn't develop before frost so that I could compare them. This year I think I should get at least one ripe from that branch to compare it to a normal fig on the main tree. I'm not sure if FMV would change the shape to that extreme or not. If the tree has FMV it really doesn't show it. Both types of leaves look clean with no mottling or disfigurement other than shape. And before anyone asks "no it was not grafted and there was no other tree planted in that spot before I planted it". The only thing that grew there was prickly pear cactus for about 12 or 15 years and before that it was just grass so there is no possible chance of a mix up. It's a mystery that I don't think it will ever get solved. I need to file this in the "Unsolved Mystery" file.
    Any educated guesses as to why this has happened?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
    Tony
    Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

That is quite interesting. The answer most likely is rather complex.

It could be a recessive gene that only effects that branch. I lost a peach tree over the winter, it had one branch that produce nectarines. No, not grafted, never put a graft on that tree. It just happens some times with peaches. Cuttings from that part of the tree that I grafted to rootstock all produce only nectarines, no peaches.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Heh, learn something new every day. I had no idea peaches and nectarines were the same species.

My tiny VDB has all kinds of leaves growing on it so far. Single lobed, multi lobed, jagged.

It seems like figs can have all kinds of variances from leaf shape to fig exterior and interior color. I was just looking at HarveyC's post were a figs interior changes from Amber to red with caprification.

I guess that's part of why it's hard to identify fig varieties.
      Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

A nectarine is simply a peach that is missing the gene that causes the fuzz on the skin.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I wonder how often new varieties of fig are introduced through this type of mutation. In maples, of which I have more familiarity, new cultivars are often introduced through the appearance of these recessive genetic traits, witches brooms they are called. Some mutations are more stable than others, resulting in some cultivars that have a tendency towards reversion. My guess would be either the expression of a typically silent gene, or the silencing of an unlocked gene. But other strange things are definitely known to happen!
          Oaken Rose, Hillsborough, NC Zone 8a

Comment

Scott if it's a recessive gene then that would mean that one of its grandparents could of been a finger leaf variety. Is that correct?
            It will be interesting to see if the figs on that branch would retain the recessive characteristics too.

That's interesting about your peach tree. I never really thought about a peach and a nectarine being basically the same. I guess anything can happen when it comes to plants just like the Jolly Tiger with it's variegated leaves.
            Tony
            Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

my galicia negra puts out 4 different kinds of leaf patterns. large finger, large three lobe, small ice crystal looking, and five lobe leaf so after seeing this nothing surprises me anymore. all from the same tree.
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
              Chris NE Philadelphia

Comment

• rusty hooks
                rusty hooks commented
                Editing a comment
                nice color on those leaves...happy baby...congrats on having it in your collection

• cdeguida4
                cdeguida4 commented
                Editing a comment
                thank you, it has very aggressive growth it got very large in a short amount of time

I took a good look at the two different figs. The figs on the normal growth have a distinct red eye. The figs on the skinny leaved branch have a white eye. All indications are pointing to a completely different fig than the normal tree. Now I'm more curious than ever to see what the outcome will be.
              Tony
              Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Time to set an air layer or take winter cuttings. It will be a fun and interesting experiment to see if it continues or reverts.

Comment

My Salce has put out single-lobe leaves on it's apical stem for three years. lateral stems are five-lobed. Bought a tree labeled "nectarine," but giving me the fuzziest nectarines you will ever see. Reversion?
                  Dale

Comment

I would go with misslable on the nectarine... you my friend got a peach.

Comment

Hey Tony. The new branch that grew from under ground(root sucker) looks suspiciously Brunswick. That variety also has a white eye. The figs are usually elongated but I've seen them in a round shape also. Maybe Joe did use A Brunswick as a rootstock since they re so easy to root and did use a Black Triana bud graft or two on the cutting. After a few months it would look like any other cutting. Growers use that method a lot with all other fruiting trees. just a thought .

Comment

Its possible that there may have been a small cutting of another cultivar in the potting mix or pot.
                        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Originally posted by AscPete View Post
                          Its possible that there may have been a small cutting of another cultivar in the potting mix or pot.

I've been operating an Iris nursery for the last 17 years or so....it's a common occurance, in field as well as pot...small pieces of particularly tough plants....bent on growing, no matter what the environment. I'd check the root location for termination of the piece and maybe move what suspiciously looks like a Brunswick, as Chrisk said,...to another location...Brunswicks are pretty well known for suckering....or remove the sucker to another location

Kinda like hitting a double in a baseball game
                          Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Working...
                          X