X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salvage Job

After over 2 months with minimal rain I have received about 4 inches in 2 days, Lots of Figs spilling their guts out. The 2 worst splitters here have been Alma and Florea, probably the only negative I have found on Florea, below some pics from a salvage grazing stroll this evening. I probably tried 30+ figs that did not make it to the bowl. Most had split to some degree, several got spit as well due to under ripe or souring. I can’t complain about the rain with so many newly grounded plants as it was probably 1st rain since May that should have added a little moisture to the sub soil, but it came in quick bursts so lots of runoff not much of a soak in.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 13 photos.
    Last edited by strudeldog; 08-18-2015, 06:30 PM.
    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Sounds like Jam time....Thats a nice collection...and congratulations on the rain...we could use some
    Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Nice pick Phil. Sorry to hear about all the splits! I'm surprised that Alma split. Dr J at the LSU field day trip said that Alma is one of the most split resistant figs to come out of the program. We've been getting lots of rain here in Loganville and around the Atlanta area but mine are holding up pretty well. Even the Brunswick !!! Maybe they split when they go through a very dry season and absorb all the water they can from that sudden monsoon ?

Comment

• quackmaster
        quackmaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Strudeldog, Lsu has Alma in the orchard for sure but they also have quite a few other varieties that wasn't developed there like hardy Chicago, hunt, smith etc. They did talk a lot about these varieties at the field day so that's probably where that comes from.

• Chrisk
        Chrisk commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, what Ryan said. Sorry ,my bad,That threw me off .They(lsu) have Magnolia also and we got to taste a few very decent figs from it. Alma was packed but not ripe yet. Very few and I didn't get to taste it.

• strudeldog
        strudeldog commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok Thanks that makes sense, I misunderstood thought you were saying it was LSU developed. My Alma is from USDA UC DAVIS it has never impressed me that much I think as the plant was probably root bound, but it went in ground this year so hope it turns around
        Last edited by strudeldog; 08-19-2015, 09:10 PM.

Phil, they look good my friend. You are correct, we can not complain about the rain. Its been over a month
      since I had a decent rain until yesterday. We got .80 yesterday and then another .40 over night. It missed
      me today every possible way. It came within 100 yards where it poured. Zero here.
      newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• strudeldog
        strudeldog commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes very patchy. BTW that Pawpaw in the later pics is the one you have if the grafted one survived

• Chrisk
        Chrisk commented
        Editing a comment
        It rained all night ,some very heavy downpours. We probably got 2 or more inches again. We've been very fortunate this year in my area so no complaints.
    Working...
    X