X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Col de Dame Noir & Blanc-2015

Col de Dame Noir and Blanc (Baud strains). First of the season. Both picked the same day!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Rafael
    Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Rafael, do you think there is a big difference in vigor between these Baud strains and their UCD counterparts? Any other differences to note? Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure only the CdDB is a UCD strain. The domestic version of CdDN appears to be traced back to sources in California though.
    Steve
    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
    WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

They look great! How was the taste?
      Phil
      Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

Phil, the dark tasted rich but probably needed another day. The White was sweeter. Neither tasted particularly berry like. These are second year trees. Steve, by virtue of California origin and USDA provenance on both Noir and Blanc, I have to assume they both have fmv/growth issues, which is why I sought the Baud strains. They all 4 grow nicely. The Noir broke leaf quicker in the greenhouse by about 10-14 days. I am about to acquire a CdD Blanc from Belleclare stock, its not in the catalogs I've seen but it is from a very reliable source. I will let you know about its growth habit. The Grise probably grows healthier in general because it did not pass through California on its way to the hands of collectors.
        Rafael
        Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

I have CdDB (UCD) and while it grows slowly it doesn't really look diseased. It's in a 5 gallon SIP in its 3rd year and has set a nice crop. Given that I have limited space it is not all bad that it grows the way it does. The CdDN grows a bit faster but still somewhat slow; it also does not have overt fmv symptoms. The CdDB-N from Pons definitely outgrows them but has splotches on some leaves - go figure!
          Steve
          D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
          WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
            Rafaelissimmo commented
            Editing a comment
            Steve

While a few people have reported some growth issues with UCD version, the overwhelming majority report healthy trees so I guess it doesn't really matter where it originates. I can't say they grow like wild, they are restrained but steady. Overall, mine are strong plants. No signs of disease.

Congrats Rafael. They look great! My Blanc has a ways to go before they get ripe. My plant is a UCD plant, but you'd never know it. It looks very clean and has grown awesome. It might be my tallest tree.
          Art
          Western Pa -6a

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
            Rafaelissimmo commented
            Editing a comment
            Art

Most folks report that CdD Blanc UCD is healthy and grows well, its a good candidate for early start in the greenhouse, as are all CdD except maybe the Blanca-Negra. Pete C. has a Belleclare CdD Blanc for me next month in SI.

Thanks for posting the pictures, Rafael. Only tonight I had my first ripe CCDB and your picture is confirmation.
          Frank Tallahasee 8B
          North Florida Figs

Comment

Is this the one with both the white and the black from the same tree?
            Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
              Rafaelissimmo commented
              Editing a comment
              No Jerry its two separate trees picked fruit on same date.

Looks tasty!
            Brian
            Augusta, GA

Comment

Working...
            X