X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me pick a honey fig!

I have berry (including Adriatic and Bordeaux) and sugar covered. I'm lacking a honey fig and having trouble deciding which one to go after when cutting season rolls around. (Making a list to avoid impulse acquisitions...).

Obviously needs to be one that will ripen on the early side given my location.

It'll be kept in a pot and stored during the winter so inground cold hardiness isn't a requirement.

My priorities are quality and quantity (QQ), not unique or rare,

And I would prefer it to have some depth of flavor if that's possible with a honey (I see too many described as having a very "mild" flavor).

What do you suggest and why? Thanks!
    “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
    – Chinese Proverb
    MA 5b/6a

Hollier right now would be my first choice on flavor alone.
    LSU Champagne would be another choice, mine seems to produce more figs but the Hollier is a little better in flavor.
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• ginamcd
      ginamcd commented
      Editing a comment
      Hollier wasn't even on my radar screen! Thanks.

Hollier is that new Hottness, right now I’ve got like 10 honey figs... if I had to pick just one I’d pick Hollier

Comment

• ginamcd
      ginamcd commented
      Editing a comment
      That's two votes for Hollier. Now on the list of contenders. Thanks!

LSU Champagne or Yellow Long Neck.
    Zone 7A - Philadelphia
    Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Comment

Another thought - I have seen Atreano listed as a 'honey' fig, but to me it is a little richer in flavor, though not a 'berry' flavor at all. A perfectly ripened Atreano is amazingly sweet and juicy.
      Ed
      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• ginamcd
        ginamcd commented
        Editing a comment
        Based on your taste report and your opinion that you find it "richer," this one is now on the list as well. But I t looks like there may be other versions floating around...? Will have to do some more reading up on this one. Thanks!

My Atreano is probably my best fig this year. Although I don't have Hollier and my Champagne and Yellow long neck haven't produced yet

Comment

My all time number one fig this year has been Atreano from its rich sweet brebas to its large sweet high quality main crop figs. This tree takes top scores!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnIROFFH...=1qm2gzi1fcg08

Comment

• K2
          K2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Richard,

What was your source for Atreano? Do you get both brebas and main crop figs?

Reading the OurFigs archives about Atreano, it seems there are some major flavor differences between different strains. Some people like you rave about it. Others say it is going into their "burn barrel".

I bought mine from One Green World in Portland last year. I am hoping for a few figs in 2019.

Thanks!
          K2 in Seattle

• richardk
          richardk commented
          Editing a comment
          K2,

I got mine at a local hardware store here in Toronto, Canada. Mine puts out both brebas and main crop they are very different in looks and in flavor but both taste excellent.

I'm not really voting for any honey fig, just more a thought about Atreano and location. Gina, your in the east same as all the fans of Atreano so it may be a good fig to consider for you. For me, Atreano got cut. It just was basically flavorless. I really wanted to like it, but after 5 years and not one main or breba giving me something to be inmpressed by..it got passed on to a beginner friend (not sure if it survived last winter under his care or not). Mine came Herman, as many others did. I really have noticed in the past couple years how figs that do well out East don't necessarily do the same here. Also, I know herman grew his in ground so that can make a huge difference as well.
        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• ginamcd
          ginamcd commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! Atreano is sitting high on the list, but it sounds like there may (or may not) be more than one version floating around. I'm waiting to see what info turns up on Ed's recent thread.

If you like LSU fig type of sweetness, You will go for Hollier, It has very high sugar level of 20%+, not many honey figs that sweet.
        It has small crop of breba as well. - for PNW, it is very important.

Here are someone description of Hollier figs.

<<<<LSU Hollier(50g-75g)
        Green skin, light red interior, pool of syrup in center. Eye drips honey when ripe, skin cracks appear when ripe, syrup drips from skin cracks. Taste: Very rich, sweet, complex smooth creamy mouthfeel sugar/berry flavored fig. Requires dry weather conditions during ripening time or fruit will generally split.
        >>>>>>>

Attached Files
        Surrey BC canada

Comment

My Italian Honey does pretty well for me here in Eastern MA. Don't have Hollier so i cannot compare.

Good luck making a choice. Sounds like you have two or three possibilities
          Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

• ginamcd
            ginamcd commented
            Editing a comment
            I was wondering if yours was a Joe Morle tree. I was toying with ordering several from him before I found this forum and learned how many more varieties of figs there were!

• fitzski
            fitzski commented
            Editing a comment
            hit me up in the fall and I can send you a few cuttings of my Italian Honey.

• ginamcd
            ginamcd commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you! Will definitely be in touch.

For a sweet bomb I like LSU Gold. Haven't tried Hollier yet.
          Located in Banning Ca. Upper Desert Pass Zone 10b

Comment

• ginamcd
            ginamcd commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the input. I'm not sure I'm looking for a "Sweet Bomb." More like something with some depth of flavor.

• Rickyv101
            Rickyv101 commented
            Editing a comment
            In LSU document, LSU gold, suger level is 12% for young tree and 15% for mature tree, Hollier is 20%, Which one will be sweeter? However, Last year, I had LSU gold figs ripen, It was very good as honey bomb, I have a small hollier and I hope that I can try it next year.

• ginamcd
            ginamcd commented
            Editing a comment
            If "sweet bomb" is actually a "honey bomb" flavor, then yes, that would be good. When I saw "sweet" I thought "sugar." Thank you both!

All great recommendations. I have many of these. I will add one more. The Mary Lane Seedless.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Myst Research Fig - Fig Interior ID Pic 2a.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	359470
          Texas (N. Houston area) - zone 8b
          Wish List: Rubado, Thermolito, Calderona, Cavaliere, GM-172, and GM-25

Comment

• ginamcd
            ginamcd commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I really dislike cantaloupe. The only melon I will willingly eat is honey dew, but only if it's really ripe.

• CliffH
            CliffH commented
            Editing a comment
            I hear you. I had the same concerns about some of the flavor descriptions that I read on LSU Jack Lily.

When JL finally produced well it didn't taste anything like cantaloupe, thank goodness. It was actually my favorite honey/sugar fig this year. And quite large too, with most over 60 grams. I am now trying to figure out how to make room for it in one of the better areas of our yard.

• pppldj
            pppldj commented
            Editing a comment
            I really dislike cantaloupes too. When I see melon in a figs description, I immediately do not want that variety any more.

Hollier, it’s my best Producer, so far the taste is pretty good for a first year tree, it’s one of my best growers, I’m still going to get another big crop this year and I’m sure these figs will be better than the last two crops of figs it has put out this year
          Tucson AZ zone 9a

Comment

• ginamcd
            ginamcd commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

First year Hollier, was only 8-9 inches tall when I got it earlier this year.
          Tucson AZ zone 9a

Comment

I have a second year LSU Hollier in a pot that had several ripe figs on it last week. It was good tasting and it has a tight eye.I will probably plant it in the ground in 2019.

Anybody have a Hollier in the ground ?

How much damage is there from cold weather and will it fruit on new growth if it is killed to the ground?

Name:	LSU Hollier A 640.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	360505

Name:	LSU Hollier B 640.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	360506
            Barry
            NE GA ,Zone 7b Low Temperature of 4F in 2015,17F in 2016,17F in 2017,6F in 2018,17F in 2019

Comment

I have Hollier in ground. I bought it as a rooted cutting in the Fall of 2014 and planted it in ground spring of 2015. I did not let it grow big before planting out. It is one of three varieties that I have planted in ground that has never died back in winter. It has suffered damage from late freezes that killed new growth and all breba. It still produced 2 main crops after late freeze damage. Your winter is not much more severe than mine, they are very similar.
              PPP
              Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

• ALOHA2002
                ALOHA2002 commented
                Editing a comment
                If you don't mind me asking, what are your other varieties that never died back in winter?

• pppldj
                pppldj commented
                Editing a comment
                Malta Black and a local unknown.

• Equestrienne
                Equestrienne commented
                Editing a comment
                My Brown Turkey has died back to the ground and still produced a decent crop that year.

I live literally on the TN/GA border, so this is good news to hear. I was contemplating whether Hollier deserves to be placed in-ground but wasn't sure about it's winter performance around here. It may take the place of one of my apple trees next spring!
              Alistair from Chattanooga, Zone 7b - Proverbs 27:18
              Wishlist: Black Tuscan, Campaniere, CdD Gegantina, Golden Rainbow, La Bourgeoise, LSU Scott’s Black, Pastilière, Sao Miguel Roxo/Azores Dark, Thermalito

Comment

Do it. The unusual extra warm periods in February this past year brought forth early leaves and the late freeze killed back the early growth. It still performed well. The Malta Black did handle this even better and is the only fig that I ate brebas from. You should really consider it also, if putting some figs in ground. It is a tremendous producer.
                Last edited by pppldj; 09-03-2018, 09:17 AM. Reason: to add "the early growth"
                PPP
                Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

• ALOHA2002
                  ALOHA2002 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, I remember when we had nearly a week of warm temperatures this past Feb. All my stone fruits were flowering like it was Mar/Apr...it was weird feeling so horrified when everything looked so beautiful. Malta Black has been one of those trees on my "maybe" list. Heard enough good things about it to know it's a good fig, but similar enough to other figs I already have that I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. Now your testimony just might tip it over to the official wish list.

Originally posted by pppldj View Post
                Do it. The unusual extra warm periods in February this past year brought forth early leaves and the late freeze killed back the early growth. It still performed well. The Malta Black did handle this even better and is the only fig that I ate brebas from. You should really consider it also, if putting some figs in ground. It is a tremendous producer.
                is black malta considered a honey fig ? i have one. figs on mine are dark brown /black and red interior berry flavor,is my tree labeled wrong then ?
                zone 6

Comment

• don_sanders
                  don_sanders commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No. Malta Black is not a Honey fig.

I have been pretty happy with Peter's Honey, Golden Celeste, and Beall so far this year. Beall was bland in it's second year but the first and third have been good.
                Don - OH Zone 5b/6a Wish list: @Your favorite fig and Zaffiro, Craven's Craving, Izmir/Iznot, Kesariani, Calderona, Campaniere

Join Robinhood for a free stock with my sign up link. https://join.robinhood.com/donalds414

Comment

Thanks! I've seen so many mixed reviews from northeast growers on Peter's Honey that I've been hesitant to consider it.
                  – Chinese Proverb
                  MA 5b/6a

Comment

• don_sanders
                    don_sanders commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It can have splitting issues and might not all ripen but so good when you get a ripe one. I'm guessing I got 10-15 good ones on a 5 gallon this year so far. Despite the large eye, I don't seem to get the same pest issue that I do with other open eyes like Nordland.

I would suggest the honey-berry Broolyn White, since it's a robust yellow fig for short seasons and since "depth" of flavor seems more important to you than having a true honey fig with no berry overtones. Otherwise San Miro Piro will produce early honey breba figs with honey flavor as good as can be found. And Long Yellow should provide productive quality with good if not always deep flavor.
                  Tony WV 6b
                  https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

• ginamcd
                    ginamcd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you! I was wondering if Brooklyn White was going to get any mention. I've seen it described as a honey-berry by others, and will keep it on the possible list for future years.

Originally posted by eboone View Post
                  Another thought - I have seen Atreano listed as a 'honey' fig, but to me it is a little richer in flavor, though not a 'berry' flavor at all. A perfectly ripened Atreano is amazingly sweet and juicy.
                  I too had this thought.

Comment

Newbie question. When people say "Hollier", is that the same as "LSU Hollier"?
                    Zone 7a

Comment

• eboone
                      eboone commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, the same.

It's funny that I just linked this thread in another one recently started on selecting a Honey figs. I had received a single Brooklyn White cutting as a bonus with an order, but it's showing no signs of life so far. I had originally decided if it didn't root, I'd just go another year without a honey fig.

mountainfigs -- after re-reading this thread this morning, tonight I purchased additional Brooklyn White and a couple San Miro Piro cuttings from Harvey. Thanks again for the recommendations! Now that I have a temperature stable storage space, I'm ready to dive into the world of breba production in the Northeast, and honey figs at the same time. Gotta love multi-tasking!
                    – Chinese Proverb
                    MA 5b/6a

Comment

• mountainfigs
                      mountainfigs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Two wonderful figs. Good growing to you.
                  Working...
                  X