X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saint Rita Another Mount Etna?

How many of you believe this to be true? My first SR was very good.
    Frank Tallahasee 8B
    North Florida Figs

I'd have to look at the leaves again. 2 years ago the taste was much better than the Mt Etnas but so far this year the 2 that I had weren't nearly as good.
    Bob C.
    Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

Given what I've seen online, seems quite possible, and I have a rooted cutting of St Rita that looks like it might have Mt Etna leaves. But I would like to see the fruit for myself, and more leaves first-hand. Hopefully next year.
      Tony WV 6b
      https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

I've been eating St. Rita, Bari, and Lebanese Red lately. Out of these three the LR has been a bit better than the other two. Unfortunately, my Mt. Etna figs are in-ground and haven't ripened yet. I'm certainly willing to believe that the flavor profile of St. Rita is close enough to that of a Mt. Etna that it may not be necessary to have both a Mt. Etna and a St. Rita if space is tight. As for St. Rita being a Mt. Etna, I think the leaves are a bit different. I'll look again and if I change my mind I'll comment again.
        Steve
        D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
        WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

The fruit's appearance and taste scream Mount Etna. In a good way...
          Frank Tallahasee 8B
          North Florida Figs

Comment

I've thought that myself. Will look again tomorrow when the sun is up.
            SoCal, zone 10.
            www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Mine hasn't fruited yet but the leaves look like a Mt Etna too. The MBVS is much more productive.
              USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Working...
              X