X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSU Gold

It was very good, can’t wait for more from this one

looks delicious! Kinda cool how the best foods are natures own
    Wish List: I don't even know at the moment. A mild winter for nice growth in the Spring I guess?

Comment

• jrdewhirst
      jrdewhirst commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't forget 10,000 years of selection by human farmers.

Looks nice. Very good job of letting it get fully ripe. This is one of the varieties that this really makes a big difference.
    Texas (N. Houston area) - zone 8b
    Wish List: Col Littman's Black Cross, Rubado, Calderona, GM-172, and GM-25

Comment

• Bodulfr
      Bodulfr commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I learned alot from reading post here and to let them ripen well. I was paying close attention to this one and just hoping the birds or squirrels didnt’t beat me to it. Worked out in my favor this time.
      Last edited by Bodulfr; 09-01-2018, 11:07 PM.

• yummyfigs
      yummyfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Couldn't agree more about Fully Ripening on the tree. Your Profile picture looks Awesome Cliff,
      What is the variety.

Very nice looking fig!

Comment

Looks like a delicious fig.

Comment

Nice almost looks like the conadria i picked the other day 👍

Comment

• wellingtonbill
          wellingtonbill commented
          Editing a comment
          I was wondering about the LSU Gold pictures. My LSU Gold inground tree is producing larger flatter perfectly round yellowish green figs. The taste is pure sugar.

Here are some of my LSU Gold from an in-ground tree. Yes many are squatty in shape.
        Located in Banning Ca. Upper Desert Pass Zone 10b

Comment

Here are some additional pictures of leaves and unripe figs. Tree was rooted in January of this year and is in ground. I obtained the cuttings from a local community garden

Comment

Picked one LSU Gold yesterday and this one today. Honey drops had soaked the bottom of the organza bags and had to cut the bag to get this one. typical LSU Gold fig, big....54 grams, sweet, very little seed crunch and to me a light brown sugar taste! Four of these would make a meal.......next one will go into vanilla yogurt for breakfast.

Comment

by the way...are there any other varieties that have a very smooth skin like LSU gold but also a berry type flavor like madeira, preto, CDDN?
              Wish List: I don't even know at the moment. A mild winter for nice growth in the Spring I guess?

Comment

My first ever LSU Gold just hit the swelling stage today. Shouldn't be too long now before I get to try it myself.
                Alistair from Chattanooga, Zone 7b - Proverbs 27:18
                Wishlist: Bass' Favorite, Black Tuscan, Campaniere, CdDB, Craven's Craving, La Bourgeoise, Maltese Beauty, Moscatel Preto, Sao Miguel Roxo, Sodus Sicilian

Comment

• jmrtsus
                  jmrtsus commented
                  Editing a comment
                  wait for the black spots......

• ALOHA2002
                  ALOHA2002 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Definitely. I’ve been getting practice on my Hollier, waiting for the sugar spots. Had another one today that was the best one yet!

• jmrtsus
                  jmrtsus commented
                  Editing a comment
                  See why I am an LSU fig fan......Never had an LSU fig that was not good! My Tiger is starting to swell, large and still green but the lower ones are starting to ripen. Getting Gold and Purple now with Champagne and Tiger coming soon!

I am still getting a few Gold, Thibodaux Scott’s Black /Scott’s Yellow from older potted or in ground trees. Young trees have given me a few Hollier and IMP Celeste. Tiger is figless now. I am waiting on a couple figs from Strawberry and maybe White Honey. I got two good figs off Red and O’ Rourke both two/three year trees.
                Best tasting in NC7b: 1) Scott’s Black. 2) IMP Celeste tied with Tiger 3) O’ Rourke 4) Gold (sugar sweet) and others yet to bear. Oh, Scott’s Yellow is real good if you pick it at peak ripeness. Scott’s Yellow has a thicker skin than some of the other LSUs. Also, I have Gabriel, Purple ( not bearing), and Late Black. Next year I will have Jack Lily, Everbearing and 156... maybe DC 2. Do you think I am a fan of LSU figs, too?
                Last edited by wellingtonbill; 09-06-2018, 08:21 AM.

Comment

• jmrtsus
                  jmrtsus commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think for the South Central and Gulf South the LSU fig are a great choice.

May I ask those of you have LSU grown in ground, what growing zone you are in? I’m located at 8b Victoria BC Canada, thinking should I put my cutting in ground. Thanks.
                Attached Files

Comment

• xenil
                  xenil commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi,

I think there would be no problem with overwintering this little guy in the ground, even without protection in your zone, but I would go for the most rain resistant varieties like Smith, cause your place is very humid.

There is a member here from Seattle, you should ask him about his varieties, though his winter is colder, but I think he has very similar climatic conditions.
                  His youtube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCv5dMfKiOFo1aqEK7OuoujA

I live just a few miles north of Raleigh, NC. Hardiness zone is 7b. My LSU Gold is doing well in ground with very little protection. I got a good number of figs off it last year - 3 years in ground.
                Last edited by wellingtonbill; 02-05-2019, 06:54 AM.

Comment

I’ve had LSU Gold in a 15g sip for 3-4 years. I’ve had trouble managing water, which it seems to suck up quickly. Too little and it stops dead. Too much and the fruit gets soggy. I actually put a daughter air layer in the ground hoping that it would even out the tree’s water consumption. Finally I’ve been told that LSU Gold needs heat, but I can’t confirm.
                  Joe, Z6B, RI. Hopes realized -- weather is finally warmer, drier.

Comment

My LSU Gold was the 1st figpop to be up-potted. Quickest by a longshot!
                    Last edited by jessup42; 02-05-2019, 06:43 AM. Reason: added 'pop' to clarify
                    WNC zone 7a at the intersection of Mt Pisgah & the Blue Ridge Parkway

Comment

I live at PNW where breba is 100% reliable while main crop is not reliable due to cool short summer.
                      I had LSU gold in pot for 2+ year, very fast growing tree, and it has figs at early age. Too my surprise, It is big breba production tree as well, I am wondering why LSU never mention about this.
                      I plant it in ground end of last year, It is quite cold now and not sure how much cold damages .
                      Wtb: Barbillone, IMP Celeste, LSU SC Yellow, High production breba varieties, Surrey BC canada

Comment

Working...
                      X