X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Brooklyn Italian 2015

I thought I would post pictures of this one since there is not much info on it anywhere. This was obtained as a cutting from Encanto Farms in the spring of 2014, so it is a second year tree, growing in a 5g SIP. The leaf shape is consistant with the typical 'Mt Etna' leaf. I was able to pick 2 of these main crop figs and taste them on the same day as two other 'Mt Etna' appearing figs, Bryant Dark and a locally collected unknown, all grown in identical environment and the same age. This fig had a little different flavor than the others, a bit of a sharper or more acid flavor - my mother in law described it as 'citrus-y'. Not a bad taste at all, just different. I think I liked the other 2 a bit better. Seems to be a good grower, productive. Pics of the leaves and figs:

Click image for larger version

Name:	OBI leaf.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	35998

Name:	OBI figs.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	35999

The following pic is included as I did not take a separate photo of the cut open Old Brooklyn Italian. This one shows the 2 Old Brooklyn Italian figs at 6:00, and clockwise from there includes Red Sicilian (MN), LSU Purple, unknown purple fig probably a Mt Etna type, and Bryant Dark.

Name:	open purple figs.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	36000
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Thanks for sharing the photos and info.
    Were you able to get a more detailed description of the BryantDark? Thanks.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• eboone
      eboone commented
      Editing a comment
      Pete, I was waiting for you to post first on your fig
      Let me get better pics on upcoming figs and do a separate post. This Bryant Dark fig was the first from the tree, there are a number of them that will be ripening soon. Maybe you could post all you know about it on a thread and I will add my pics? Or I can start a Bryant Dark thread soon and you can add your far greater knowledge of it.

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      I started an earlier topic with photos and info of the mother tree, http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...own-bryantdark but your photos and info can be posted at your discretion. Thanks.

OK, for Pete. Pic added including uncut views of the six figs above:

Name:	purple figs.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	36072

The same order of figs as above, the 2 Old Brooklyn Italian figs are at 6:00, and clockwise from there includes Red Sicilian (MN), LSU Purple, an unknown purple fig probably a Mt Etna type, and Bryant Dark. The Bryant Dark was a little larger than the other purported Mt Etna varieties, the OBI and the unknown. It was, in my opinion, the better tasting by a small margin of the purported 3 Mt Etna varieties. I am looking forward to comparing it to my Chicago Hardy and Sal's (Gene) figs but they are way behind, and to my Unknown Abington which I reported on last week and should have more ripe to try this weekend. I think I have just 5 possible Mt Etna types (well another couple unknowns to try), so a long way to go to catch Tony and Pete, I think
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Ed,
      Thanks for sharing the figs exterior photo.
      The size comparison is interesting since I've rarely photographed multiple figs on the same plate.
      I have also been eliminating later ripening and less tasty unknown Etna Types so now I only have 4 different cultivars.
      Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• eboone
        eboone commented
        Editing a comment
        Which are your keepers, Pete, of the varieties lumped together as Mt Etna figs?

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        Ed,
        I actually don't lump them together. I often refer to them as Mount Etna Types due to similarities in leaf, figs and growth habits. There are definite distinctions between the different cultivars ie, fig size, taste, ripening time, plant growth habit, health, etc.

The 4 cultivars that I'm referring to are found unknowns, but Hardy Chicago BF, Hardy Chicago EL, Sals EL, Marseilles Black VS are some of the known keepers.
    Working...
    X