X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonight's dessert: Hardy Chicago and Celeste

Picked my first Celeste and Hardy Chicago of the season. The Hardy Chicago was pleasantly sweet and jammy. The Celeste was the sweetest fig I've had so far this year. The ones I had last year had more pronounced flavors. I remember being able to taste a berry flavor in the Hardy Chicago, but couldn't really make one out this time. The Celeste last year was like molasses, and this one tasted like a really sweet jelly. I suspect the recent deluge might have something to do with the flavors being different.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.
    Johnny
    Stuff I grow: Google Doc

They both look awesome Johnny. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I think the first figs from any tree will taste ok, but they start getting better as the season progresses. My first hardy Chicago this year didn't really have too much berry taste, but the two I ate today had a more pronounced berry taste.
      Brian
      Augusta, GA

Comment

Originally posted by jkuo View Post
        Picked my first Celeste and Hardy Chicago of the season. The Hardy Chicago was pleasantly sweet and jammy. The Celeste was the sweetest fig I've had so far this year. The ones I had last year had more pronounced flavors. I remember being able to taste a berry flavor in the Hardy Chicago, but couldn't really make one out this time. The Celeste last year was like molasses, and this one tasted like a really sweet jelly. I suspect the recent deluge might have something to do with the flavors being different.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
        Last edited by chuckell; 08-23-2015, 06:48 PM. Reason: my first HC ripe fig
        zone 6

Comment

i got my first HC ,fig about 2 weeks ago ,it was absolutely delicious ,sweet and jammy,i loved the taste,my tree is 1 year 4 months old right now ,it has about 30 figs on it this summer.
          zone 6

Comment

Quick update: I have picked a few more Hardy Chicago and Celeste figs. As Brian suggested, they have been better than the first figs. The next 2 HC were starting to have hints of berry, and by the 4th one I could taste a distinct berry flavor. I'm not sure what type of berry (maybe strawberry?) that the flavor was most similar to. After a few Celestes, the sweet jelly flavor is deepening into a more molasses-like flavor.
            Johnny
            Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

Working...
            X