X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix Growing sideway tree?

I have a few tree that started as cutting or air layer I receive from friends. They grow extremely fast wonderfully! But they no grow up like tree. They growing outward. The Main trunk or cutting tip come out of soil is short and small. The new growth is thick and with large leaf. I remember someone say if I support with stake it weaken tree trunk but I am afraid they will break because of weight of new fast growth. Will they be ok and start grow upwards or should I stake or even pot up to bigger pot but plant so new growth stand straight up?

Grazie
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

I would put it in a bigger pot and point the large branch straight up. It's too late in the year to fertilize it unless you will keep it in a heated greenhouse.
    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

I concur with Bob, I've planted several of mine on an angle in a larger pot to "straighten out the growth".
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I agree with above also.
        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

To me it looks like it is simply the result of growing out to get to the light. Easy to straighten though.
          Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

So is too late to fertilize but no too late to pot up?

Comment

I think so. If you fertilize now, there won't be time to harden off. I concur with above advice, or air layer to get a straight trunk.
              Dale

Comment

Mike, I have a 3rd leaf Sweet George that I will be re and up potting after it's fruit had ripened.

Not by choice, the rim tore off of the pot moving it out this spring.

It will still be weeks before I do this.
                Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Ah okay ! I think I will just re pot for now to straighten up.
                  Grazie!

Comment

Working...
                  X