X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripe Atreano?

This is a young Atreano I bought in early May this year from Logee's CT. It set 5 fruit quite quickly and did not drop them. But it also did not grow.
    Late July, still bearing 5 fruit to took off like a howling banshee with new growth on all sides.

It has had minimal fertilizer and when I inspected this morning 2 of the 5 fruit have swelled considerably in 48 hours!

When do I pick them?

Figster
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Ian

Really happy with what I have.

Hard to tell exactly without feeling how soft they are. The weather will play a role in how quickly it ripens too. My guess is 1-3 days from now. The more it droops and the softer it gets, the better it will taste! A true test of your patience.
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

I'll say about 3 days going by the picture. The neck will hang straight down and the flesh on the neck should be soft.
      Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
      Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Frank and Calvin thank you for your encouragement to be patient

Figster
        Ian

Comment

Marshmallow soft and cracks, then pick and eat. The color will be a lighter green too.
          Dennis
          Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

Plus it should be drooping totally limp. I let mine get softer than marshmallows. You might want to protect it from critters. Organza bags keep insects out, welded wire foils the bigger critters. As Frank said, "The more it droops and the softer it gets, the better it will taste!" Up until the point where it gets moldy, of course. You can keep posting pictures and we'll fight over the best day to snag it Putting your location (state, city if you want and zone) in your sig will always get you the best answers.
            Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Atreano was one of my favorite "white" figs, when dead ripe. Figs will usually turn a golden color, as the pale green skins fade. Figs can get very large, become very soft, and they will hang down straight, when dead ripe. The fig necks can rip and they'lll almost fall into your fingers from weight. Minimize water at the roots, and maximize sun exposure, up to and including thinning out the leaves that shade the ripening figs. You'll be eating very well in a few days.

Good luck!

Frank

Comment

So here is the next image of my soon to be ripe Atreano. I will post a new image every morning. This one was taken at 9am east coast.

I am in zone 7a right on the coast on the CT RI boarder in Stonington. When do i pick it?

Figster
                Ian

Comment

Figster,
                  Atreano is a cultivar that needs to be fully ripe to have good flavor... the right time is usually gauged through experience, but they should be hanging down, soft and the skin should be at least slightly wrinkled not smooth.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	fig%20conadria%20031_29A_edited-1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	36950
                  The attached photo is of ripe well wrinkled Conadria, at my location the figs would have soured by the time they reached that stage, but its the best photo I could find of a wrinkled white fig. Good Luck.

Name:	IMG_6009.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	36993
                  BTW, My Atreano are still a few weeks away from ripening...
                  Last edited by AscPete; 08-25-2015, 01:18 PM. Reason: Added Atreano photo and caption.
                  Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• The Figster
                    The Figster commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Pete. A picture is worth a 1000 words!

My experience matches Frank and Pete's. If picked while still green, the flavor will be lacking and have an (for me anyway) unpleasant undertone of old cucumber. Let them turn yellow, then wait another day or two or three.
                  Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
                  N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

• The Figster
                    The Figster commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't like the flavor of old cucumber

Looking like at least 2 days away, Figster. I'll be watching every morning for the pics. And remember, just one day difference can make a fig bland vs amazing.
                  Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• The Figster
                    The Figster commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Tune in tomorrow for the next image

I have a couple that are few days ahead of yours. I'm still waiting, I could pick one today but I think tomorrow will be better. I'm starting to get some cracking on both and ripping at the neck on the more ripe one. I'm really looking forward to it. Nice big softies, this one has been a long time coming since my first 2 year old Atreano mysteriously died 2 winters ago. The only overwinter casualty.
                  Luckily I took a single cutting that fall.

Comment

So here is the next image on the 'Great Atreano Ripening Caper of 2015'

Its defiantly lighter in color and a gentle squeeze reveals that marshmallow softness.

Is it ready

Figster
                    Ian

Comment

I think it needs to droop more. I picked the first one on my Atreano last week that looked a little lighter in color and was a little more limp on the stem, and was sweet but I am now sure it could have been more ripe. The next one is gonna be sagging. about to fall off, and as soft as can be before I pick it.
                      Ed
                      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Ha! I see your finger impression on the top one. At this point, I'd eat the top one to see if it is in fact, ready. Then you can make your own judgement on when to pick the bottom one.
                        Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Under the right circumstances....i.e. heat and dry weather...the skins on Atreano figs will become golden-yellow, like a banana, and will shrivel slightly. Like King Midas....wait for the gold to show....then, eat the thick, jammy, sugary delights.

Frank

Comment

Okay, this should give a bit of an idea for you.

Likely still good, but not quite ready.

Name:	20150826_174344-1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	37259

This Atreano is ready.

Name:	20150826_174252-1.jpg
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	37260

Pictured with my first main RdBs of the year.

Name:	20150826_174700-1.jpg
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	37255

And the money shot.

Name:	20150826_175356-1.jpg
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	37261

They were good figs. The Atreano weighed 39g and was a nice juicy honey fig, the skin is tender. That one was a main crop but the leaf dropped off early, probably due to the cold damage the tree received months ago. I feel like those figs are never as sweet so it will be interesting to see what the next ones taste like, I'll let the next one ripen a day longer than this one did.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• zone5figger
                              zone5figger commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Looking good!

Those are just perfect, Calvin!
                            Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Here we go ... next update

I took the advice to pick one to see if it was ripe, so here it is. I think it needed a few more days
                              Tasty but not remarkable

The third picture is of the other fruit which is advancing nicely and I will leave it until wrinkly!

Thanks to all

Figster

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
                              Ian

Comment

You learn by taking a risk. Now you are confident on when to pick the next one. Amazing how some varieties will ripen in a matter of 2 days after swelling, while some take a week.
                                Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Just 1 day later and it was 4 times better. Remarkable!
                                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
                                  Ian

Comment

Sure does look remarkable. Looks like it was worth the wait!
                                    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Working...
                                    X