X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zone 5 Fall Cuttings Vs Air Layer

Ciao Everyone !
    I hope you are all very well and happy health!
    I am much better now Grazie all who wish me better!

Okay now to question I have battle over.
    I have a monster tree that grown in front my home. More of bush than single trunk tree.. I have more trees I would rather have grow larger like tis one but they can not because tis one too big. I have3 option I need help choose from and I myself lean toward last option...

I have tis tree few year now and still it no make fig but is large and belle foliage. Being it is already almost September we start to have funny weather like in spring. Example last night 50F today 74F. Like tis rest of week then start Monday back into 90F in day and 60F at night. Here seem once it changes often like tis at some point it just stay cold. Last fall I had to winterized my trees with full green leaf on it still. It went from 60F fall to 30F winter over 2 day and stayed at 30f and u see until spring. So we really never known when winter is going to stay. So with tis gamble of cold do you think is smart to start air layer now?
    (option 1) Even tho weather should be okay to fully airlayer a tree is it bad for a air layer to form then sever it. Pot it then it will go dormant because by then it will be cold time dormant starts.

(Option 2) leave it be until dormant and make cuttings ?

(Option 3) wait till dormant and use machine to remove entire tree and transplant it to the farm orchard with the rest of the other trees and plant my favorite 3 In front of my home?

Also. Entire tree is hard wood. Very little green left. Should I make cuttings now to trim back or tis is bad and just wait for dormant ?
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Hello Mike.
    Glad you are feeling better.
    I'm not an expert, this is my opinion and I'm sure that someone will chime in.
    I would wait until it's dormant and take cuttings and then move the tree.
    Vito

Comment

• Taverna78
      Taverna78 commented
      Editing a comment
      Aye ! Ciao Vito!
      How are you Amico!?

Sì I think same. Anyway I do beside AL I think still better to do when dormant so no hurt or stress tree too much....

Glad you are better, Mike.
    I would take cuttings AND do air layers and see how it goes, since it sounds like it's a big enough tree to play around with.
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• Taverna78
      Taverna78 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sì... Is very large for tis area and I prefer one trunk vs bush style tree. I will try Al and if no work by dormant then no harm done.

Hello Mike,
    Glad you're better.

IMO, you should start the air layers.
    There should be enough time to get some root before frost especially if you use rooting hormones on the girdles, and if that fails you can simply take cuttings once the trees are dormant. Roots will continue to grow at temperatures above 45* F so the cooler night time temperatures should not be a problem for new air layers. I've started successful late summer air layers on in ground trees for the past 3 years and will be starting some now also. Good Luck
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• chauqg
      chauqg commented
      Editing a comment
      Pete does this apply to potted trees. My air layers are on 4-5 feet tall trees in 5-7 gal containers. I was going to bring the rooted cuttings into the house for a couple of months for root development if and when it gets too cold. Should I assume 47° will end root development on these late layers?

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      Chaugg,
      If its warm enough for leaf growth then the roots should continue growing. If the potted trees are kept above 45*F, provided sunlight and the air layers have already 'rooted' they will continue to grow. That's an advantage of transparent air layer pots the root growth can be observed.

Belle! I will do tis
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Working...
    X