X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying out DIY irrigation system, water how often?

I buy "light soaker hose" from Home Depot that I can leave as whole hose or portion off. I also buy automatic timer for water to hose. I make two sections and ran them threw out my garden and over tops of fig pots. The smaller tree pots I have just small amount of hose over it for less water and my 5 gal bigger tree pots I have hose curled up one time around tree then onto the next pot. I attach hose to pot with zip tie and seem to work great. Now is hard for me to determine how long to let it drip for to get proper water into pots. Now I have it run for 1hour from 4-5am every day. None of pots seem to be over watered yet none of them seem like they are somewhat dry. I do tis because is less time I spend watering but also so I am not tempted to overwater or get leaf wet when watering. The pots are well drained with good draining soil. Think hour too much once a day? Maybe I do hour every other day? I know how to tell if tree needs water but if is being over watered normally I won't know until is too late... Is less more in tis situitation? Maybe 1/2 hour per day?

Grazie
    Attached Files
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Line a pot with a plastic bag and let it run for an hour and see how much water you are delivering? I'm not a big fan of soaker hoses so I may be biased. I like just a supply line and these http://www.netafimusa.com/greenhouse...s/spray-stakes different color stakes supply different amounts of water so you can adjust it.
    Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

I've tried soaker hoses in the past, was a huge waist of time Mike. In less than a month they were in the garbage!
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• Taverna78
        Taverna78 commented
        Editing a comment
        Oohh.... Because it no work correct or was not watering enough or too much?

• COGardener
        COGardener commented
        Editing a comment
        More than anything there is no control over how much goes where. Second they CLAIM that the hose is non clogging. ... wrong. Does not work as described.

IMO they are garbage and useless.

Good idea. I will try tis bag. I like you idea with spray stakes.. I just tried harbor freight drip system. Was garbage... I may try tis spray stake

Grazie!

Comment

Mike, most anything that comes from harbour freight is garbage. You really have too picky there. I will only but things there I expect to use once and sometimes after looking at it I'll just go elsewhere. Quality is not in their vocabulary, you certainly get what you pay for there. ... or do you? ???
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Tis true. Whole set up was $7.00 so you get what you pay for. I think I will finish off season with tis hose and of fail back to me water them. Then spring I try WillsC system.

Comment

Mike you can also use the stuff from Lowes "mister" brand. I use that supply tubing and have had it under ground and some on top of the ground along the fencelines for 5+ years and no issues. Probably have 5000' feet of it around the property I would guess. Every plant has it's own head or shares one with the neighbor plant. Saves me so much time watering. Also have a pump set up so I can fertigate right through the same heads. The "mister" brand heads also work well but are expensive and do plug sometimes. I carry a syringe to clear them out, where you live that would probably get you thrown in jail The netafim stakes Hershell got me started on, I like them. I buy them on Ebay, heads the connectors and the tubing all come in a set. If they plug you just pull the tubing off the head and push it back on, all fixed. For in the mulch around new plants I just ziptie the netafim stake to a 12" piece of 1/2" conduit and push that in the ground for more stability.
            Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Perfect! Obvious I will need a pump and water containment tank? Or I can just attach garden hose direct to it? Maybe 100ft run and 30 potted trees. For farm much bigger system

Comment

Will does the netfim connect to lowe's supply tubing? Do you use a filter and pressure regulator?
                Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Working...
                X