X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The line-up

Well....here's the start of my fig orchard project... All these plants arrived today!! We've had a heat wave and I was thinking that I'd be opening boxes of toasted figs...but every plant looks perfect. From left to right they are: ronde de Bordeaux, Lebanese red, martinenca rimada, de la reina MP, CDD blanc, grise, noir and CDD rimada. Far right is Nero 600M. What to get next 😎
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Adam Vista, CA 9b

Very nice collection, real nice start.

Where did you get them from?
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Multiple sources Scott... Mostly "reputable" eBay sellers...
      Adam Vista, CA 9b

Comment

• COGardener
        COGardener commented
        Editing a comment
        Fantastic, congratulations.

Very nice Amico... You have the addiction now. Remember to label them well because when you start getting more trees you forget what is what
      Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
      1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
      2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

I'll be sure to label both the pots and the plants.....and yes I do have the fig collector bug lol. If anyone has suggestions for other "must have" figs do let me know.
        Adam Vista, CA 9b

Comment

All of them! !!!

Just collect them all!
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

When I was starting out, it seemed like everyone was saying to include a Violette de Bordeaux in the collection. So I got two. I picked two off the larger one of my trees last night and they were perfect. Much larger than the first couple on a smaller tree which were tasty but nothing to post about, and with beautiful juicy and jammy interiors. Even the seeds seemed solid with a little nutty taste! I didn't do the float test, but it gave me hope that the fig wasp was in fact hanging around the tree at the right time.

Just because it's easy to acquire doesn't mean it's not amazingly delicious.
            Sarah
            Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

beautiful!! great start. I hope you have lots of room
              Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
              Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

Growcrazie- I plan on planting up to 40 varieties in the ground.... 16 feet apart and 20 feet between rows...so I do have some room. Planning on potting the figs up and getting them into the ground next spring. Looking forward to fruits in a couple years 😜
                Adam Vista, CA 9b

Comment

Growcrazie- I plan on planting up to 40 varieties in the ground.... 16 feet apart and 20 feet between rows...so I do have some room. Planning on potting the figs up and getting them into the ground next spring. Looking forward to fruits in a couple years 😜

Sarah-I will be sure to include a VdB. I'm also looking for some of the LSU figs like hollier, champagne, gold and o'rourke. Hard to find someone who will ship these plants to CA....
                  Adam Vista, CA 9b

Comment

I'm in CA and have a spare LSU Hollier in a 1-gallon. Also plan to prune my VdB this winter. Feel free to PM me, maybe we can trade.
                    Sarah
                    Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

Your climate should allow you to go in the ground this fall. It will allow the trees to establish roots before the big push in the spring.
                      Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
                      N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

It will also help conserve water.

Comment

Bijan....many of the plants are stailized air layers....would I risk losing the plants if planted right in the ground? What would the latest I should plant figs in the ground? I think leaves fall off the trees here in Dec or January....any so cal fig growers want to chime in??
                          Adam Vista, CA 9b

Comment

In the warmer climates of Texas we are told to plant in October. There is not usually enough of a freeze to really affect the trees, and the ground stays warm enough for the roots to grow even when the tops are quite. Anytime after you can pull the tree from the container without the root mass falling apart is a good time to plant. I would think in another month, the root balls should mostly stay together. Normally, I would advocate bare-rooting the tree before planting in the ground. Being your trees are young (with young roots), leave them intact when planting. Pay attention to the amount of water in the root mass. It might dry out before the ground it does. By spring, the roots should have established themselves in the native soil. This will reduce the amount of water they need during the heat of next summer and increase your chances for a few figs next year.

Comment

Thanks Bijan. I may pot them up to 5 gallon pots now and plant them in the ground in about a month or so. I will carefully check to see what the roots look like before potting them up. I'm also thinking of using wire baskets when planting them in the ground. The gophers are plentiful here!
                              Adam Vista, CA 9b

Comment

Adam , because of where you are you need to get a Vista of course !
                                It is a darn good fig and reminds me somewhat of a larger Ronde de Bordeaux.
                                Maybe an LSU Scott's Black as well.
                                Kerry - NH zone 5

Comment

Kerry! Yes Vista is on my list....I have heard great things about it. And LSU Scott's black.....on my list too thanks for the input I think I'll have 40 + trees in no time.....although I'm waiting for this fall/winter when cuttings are available.....
                                  Adam Vista, CA 9b

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily pot them up before going in the ground. You want the roots to get into native soil as quickly as possible, which is why I normally suggest bare-rooting the trees. Generally, the roots will want to continue growing in the potting mix (it's easier for them to grow through), but the native soil will pull moisture out of the root mass. If the roots circle in the container, unfold them and work them into the native soil.

Comment

Alright Bijan. I'll take your advise on not potting them up. I do have pretty nice sandy clay loam where they will be planted. I do plan on mulching around the figs.
                                      Adam Vista, CA 9b

Comment

When I got to three varieties, I thought; hey I'll just use a different color pot for each one. At this point, I'm up to 17, and adding every week. So much for the color idea.
                                        Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

I heard all rimadas taste excellent, some greek varieties , sicilian black,and raspberry latte.just to name a few.

Comment

Why are you focusing on average figs, Adam? Seriously, I'd add a Preto to that list, and if you have the wasp, a Zidi.
                                            Gary USDA 9A
                                            Sebastopol, CA

Comment

Yeap, seriously, a Zidi will beat the crap out of all those guys taken together
                                              USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Gary and green fig...advice taken. Anyone have a spare Zidi or Preto???
                                                Adam Vista, CA 9b

Comment

• figgary
                                                  figgary commented
                                                  Editing a comment
                                                  I have a spare Zidi, Adam. In a 2 gallon pot. Yours if you want it.
                                              Working...
                                              X