X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pajarera

This is a small fig, very long ripening period, 100 days at least. From Cartagena, Spain. Cutting obtained from Encanto Farms. Used for drying in Spain.

I was not terribly impressed and will probably gift this tree away.

http://figs4fun.com/Var_P_info.html
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    Rafael
    Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Did you get this one started early in greenhouse to get it ripe this soon?
    Do you think it is more suited to hotter climate, or just an average fig made better by drying it? And more suited to drying that fresh eating? I was just curious, as this is the dried fig variety that got me interested in figs as a hobby/passion.
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
      Rafaelissimmo commented
      Editing a comment
      Ed I did start this early in the greenhouse yet it is ripening later than most. I reckon you are referring to the pajarera fig jam from Mitica. I am a huge fan of it and consider it one of the best preserved fig products on the planet. Whatever they do to those figs, a fresh pajarera is a far cry. There is no way for me to know A. Whether Encanto sent me a mistaken cutting (which they have done in the past); or B. Whether this compares favorably to any other Spanish database as no other internet collector than myself seems to have posted on this cultivar.

I know, Rafael - there is not much on it at all on the forums. I had some dried Pajarero figs that were wonderful, but the market I got them in (when visiting my son in Cincinnati) did not have them again. We discussed this a bit on a thread on F4F: http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....post1279750505

Sorry to hear they are not that great. Maybe another year would help? Maybe the heat of a Spanish summer would help? Maybe they just need dried. The small size, long ripening period and color all agree with what little I have heard on this variety.

Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Mr M Pons did confirm this variety based on these pics.
      Rafael
      Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Have any of you guys ever tried the Spanish figs Pareires or Panadera?
        Ray in Columbia, SC Zone 8

Comment

• eboone
          eboone commented
          Editing a comment
          Are they dried or fresh? Where did you have a chance to try them, Ray?

I haven't tried either variety, but an acquaintance in Spain sent me cuttings, but neither one
        took. He sent me a picture of one of the brebas, and they were almost as big as his hand.
        Ray in Columbia, SC Zone 8

Comment

Is this also known as Calabacita? Do you know anyone who is still growing it please?

Comment

I wish Pajarero grew well in our climate, the dried figs are delicious.
          Ed
          SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Any chance you have a cutting? I’d love to try it. Let’s see how it does in fig paradise. :-)
            Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

• Evdurtschi
              Evdurtschi commented
              Editing a comment
              😂 Oops. I didn’t notice the original post date and only saw the ones from yesterday. Thanks for the heads up
              I’m not even sure I knew what a fig WAS 4 years ago. 😝

• ammoun
              ammoun commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah apologies for bumping a thread that old but this variety is very underrated and the dried fruits are super delicious.

• ammoun
              ammoun commented
              Editing a comment
              Rafaelissimmo, could you check if your friend can sell few cuttings please?
          Working...
          X