X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a problem

I've converted my wife and daughter to fig lovers. My mother too.

Not enough to go around yet. Should be more coming in soon, I hope.

I lied to my mom about my first Nero600m figs being ripe because I wanted them for myself. I almost feel guilty.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

I let my wife have a bite of our first Black Madiera....the bad news...she likes them...

the good news...more room for figs...

gotta look for the silver lining...and yes I'll share
    Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Way to go..... But ! As long as wife approve limits endless ๐Ÿ˜‰
      Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
      1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy ๐Ÿ‘ผ๐Ÿผ.
      2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

I'd be a little guilty too, yet I think would melt away as eating them. There will be more, and it sounds to like "your" collection will be spreading to your Mom's house as well!!! She will love having your... I mean her fig to eat at home also.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

โ€œThough the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.โ€ โ€“ Bill Mollison

Comment

You could recruit your family to grow figs for themselves. Could be a good lesson in gardening, responsibility, and the rewards of consistent watering for your daughters! Also, in sharing the rewards.

I made the mistake of telling my next door neighbor how much I enjoyed eating the last couple VdB's. He was curious to try one, so I foolishly offered to bring him the next one. But there's only one of those left...

Maybe he'll forget. Maybe I'll "forget."
          Sarah
          Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• Kelby
            Kelby commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm slowly getting the family involved. My wife isn't really a gardener ans my daughter isn't even 2. Her helping is adorable but doesn't get things done!

Originally posted by Kelby View Post
          I've converted my wife and daughter to fig lovers. My mother too.

Not enough to go around yet. Should be more coming in soon, I hope.

I lied to my mom about my first Nero600m figs being ripe because I wanted them for myself. I almost feel guilty.
          yea i know what you mean ~!
          zone 6

Comment

Funny post. I know we all can relate. I've been blessed to get 1-3 ripe figs nearly every day or two lately. Yesterday the last VdB ripened and it was just me and my 2 kids around. I had to split that sucker into 3 pieces. The anticipation and appreciation from the little ones was well worth it.
            Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Spreading to fruits of your labor is very gratifying. Hopefully she can have duplicates growing at her home and they can be a cuttings source just in case your's plant die.
              Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

• Kelby
                Kelby commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm trying, but her house has little full sun courtesy of giant shade trees.

Careful, my almost 3 year old son picks and eats figs before they are ripe. He ate my profici edible caprifigs (not the edible crop) before they have even started to get soft this summer. He is a big part of why I have few pics to post this year :P 50ish bearing trees and only a handful of ripe figs, sigh...
              Half the time when I get home from work he runs up to my car and asks, "did you bring figs?". Now to get him to help care for the trees instead of eating I unripe figs, soon I hope.
              Andy - Zone 6a Lat 39.9ยบ N, Altitude 5390' Westminster CO โš˜ Scion List

Comment

• Kelby
                Kelby commented
                Editing a comment
                Hahah, my daughter does that with the raspberries, eating the hard unripe ones. I keep her away from the figs as much as possible! Though she did yank out a just rooted RdB cutting. Sigh.
            Working...
            X