X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offerings over the last few days

My peak production is past not getting the bowls full of recent, but some of my later figs starting to kick in , and some nice figs last few days as rain and splitting has diminished. Think my work on removing any ripe figs and eating before the dead ripe I prefer is lessening my issue with SWD. It's a sacrifice, but a not quite perfect fig is better than eating maggots. ID Captions on pics
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 18 photos.
    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Bummer on the bugs, but what you have looks awesome!
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

Originally posted by strudeldog View Post
      My peak production is past not getting the bowls full of recent
      9 figs looks like at least a small bowlful They look great!

Hopefully by next year or so I will be getting some numbers at a time instead of the 3-4 max in a day.
      Ed
      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

One would think that would be an effective means of control for the pests, at least you are getting fruit!
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Very nice selection Phil
          Rafael
          Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

A few more this evening.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 7 photos.

Comment

Phil, can you post a shot of SWD spoiled fruit? I'm curious...
              SE PA
              Zone 6

Comment

I can but I have been trying to remove whatever it looks like they are hitting. Basically like a over ripe figs that has soured and is slimy. The maggots look like the internal part of the flower that are the thin white part, not sure what part of the flower that is labeled, if you have what looks like spoiled particular on a open eye squeeze the pulp or work through it and watch for movement. I tried to film them but they are small was not succesful below link is long but it shows the maggots in raspberries
                https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...t=mozilla&tt=b
                Last edited by strudeldog; 08-29-2015, 09:49 PM.

Comment

SWD is in my yard, 2nd half of elderberry crop (50-70lbs)is spoiled thanks to those insidious %&@#!s. Do you notice that they prefer darker figs over light ones?
                  Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
                  Wishlist- earliest maincrop varieties

Comment

Thanks Phil. Had some Galbun get black spots all over, thought it might be SWD.
                    SE PA
                    Zone 6

Comment

I do seem to notice the adult flies themselves on and about the dark figs more, but on light figs as well. I guess naturally they seem to bother the thinner skinned ones as the female can easier deposit her eggs. Cracking of skins after heavy rains or many crack on reaching a nice ripeness really attract them. Of course they view the eye as the gateway to heaven, but I want to find a way to return these spawn from hell back.

Comment

Well, my raspberries are infested. Sigh.
                        SE PA
                        Zone 6

Comment

• Kelby
                          Kelby commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yep, my berries are wiggling.

• jkuo
                          jkuo commented
                          Editing a comment
                          17 generations a season?! The berries in the back corner of my yard are infested. I'm thinking about just ripping out that patch to see if I can keep them from spreading.

• strudeldog
                          strudeldog commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I can't find where I read 17 generations, so maybe I did not remember correct. but I am seeing 13 and 15 generations listed.

Last fall I had them in my fall crop of raspberries, did not see them in the summer crop this year. My fall berries do not usually start producing until about the 2nd week of Sept, however, and last fall once it got colder (i.e. nights into the 40s ? if I recall right) we had several weeks before the first killing frost - the SWD went away and I was able to harvest a lot of healthy berries then. If we get an early hard frost that strategy will go out the window.
                        Ed
                        SW PA zone 6a

Comment

kelby, you asked for a photo I managed to video one. They start out smaller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpioMJGyoKA I just uploaded this don't know if I can load a video here.

Comment

kelby, you asked for a photo I managed to video one. They start out smaller.

I just uploaded this don't know if I can load a video here.

Comment

• Kelby
                              Kelby commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks!
                          Working...
                          X