X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Col De Dame Noir

I just had to post these pictures of my first CDDN (Half bird-eaten, ant riddled firsts don't count) The Hedge netting is really working! Again, thanks Hershell! This plant was grown from a cutting. It is two years old and huge for its age.

How did it taste? Really, really good. It was I-closed-my-eyes-and-thought-I-was-back-in-Provence good!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.
    Frank Tallahasee 8B
    North Florida Figs

Very good. I will have to wait til next year or the year after to taste mine. Hope they turn out as good as yours.
    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Its funny some people tell me that the Noir should be pitch black when ripe but mine are not, and neither is this one Frank!
      Rafael
      Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Last season I received a tree as a possible cddg but the figs resemble yours frank so I'm not sure what to think. This one was picked a little early.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
        Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Can we get a post some time demonstrating the hedge netting, pics, how it was done? I am sure that many of us would love to learn from it.
          Ed
          SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• FMD
            FMD commented
            Editing a comment
            Ed, there's a couple of pictures on this thread...
            http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...etting-a-hedge

• eboone
            eboone commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Frank! I see there are some hoops supporting the netting. How do you have it anchored to the ground. And what size is the netting? One piece for the whole row, or overlapping sections ?

• FMD
            FMD commented
            Editing a comment
            Ed, the hoops are stuck 6 inches directly into the ground. The netting is one piece (16 by 130 feet) but I imagine shorter sections could be pieced together. So far, so good. This is first of dozens of anti-bird contraptions I've tried that appears to be working. Fingers crossed!

Looks delicious no matter what color.
          On the color topic, the two breba from my CdDG were just as dark as all my Etna type figs.
          Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
          Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

I did a search for pictures of CDDN on the fig forums and am disappointed in that there is no consensus. However, the one posted by Ed from NY, looks like it could be the real thing inasmuch it looks like a CDDB except for the appropriate black color. Crap, I may have to call this one something else.

http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....post1275455024
            Last edited by FMD; 08-30-2015, 10:09 AM.
            Frank Tallahasee 8B
            North Florida Figs

Comment

Well frank, I think the pics I posted is the same as this one. I'm curious to find out what it is. My fig wasn't as ripe as yours and I'm sure it would have got the dark spots if left another day or so. This fig came to me ad col de dame gris and since then I started a bunch of col de dame gris cuttings from Vasile but those haven't fruited yet to compare. I know I can't go by this but the leaves are different. If you do find out what it is please keep us posted. I was actually about to start a thread with these pics I posted to try and get an ID.
              Last edited by quackmaster; 08-30-2015, 08:28 AM.
              Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

I sure will, Ryan
                So, does anyone have pics of CDDG? Still, I would think that the reason for calling this group of figs CDD is because of the distinctive appearance of the neck. Right?
                Last edited by FMD; 08-30-2015, 03:43 PM. Reason: Dazed And Confused
                Frank Tallahasee 8B
                North Florida Figs

Comment

Frank

I think you confused me with Ryan but no prob, this thread has now focused on another related problem I am having. I received a CdDG cutting and grew it out this spring. The first fruit ripened last week and as fate would have it, it does not appear very dark at all. I attach some pics. The leaf pattern seems to match but not the fruit color. Could this be a CdD Blanc? Or does the color darken with time? Clearly it is a CdD fig of some sort. Any thoughts from readers are appreciated ....
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 6 photos.
                  Rafael
                  Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• quackmaster
                    quackmaster commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That sure does look like cddb

• Fig-Doctor
                    Fig-Doctor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    CDD Blanca(=Blanc)!

It does indeed look like a Blanc, Rafael.
                  Will the mislabeling ever end?
                  Frank Tallahasee 8B
                  North Florida Figs

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
                    Rafaelissimmo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Its beyond mislabelling Frank. Its irresponsible. I have at least 5 varieties, 4 from cuttings and 1 a trade, that were not what was promised. Some people, to their credit, have tried to make amends.

Anyway an extra CdD Blanc will make a pretty present for somebody!
                  Rafael
                  Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• mgreco04
                    mgreco04 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    CdD Blanc is on my wish list. Would you be interested in a trade?

• Rafaelissimmo
                    Rafaelissimmo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mr Greco I am overloaded, but will have plenty of cuttings for sale after thanksgiving

I've just seen the pics of cddg posted on f4f. I'm not upset about this one I got because it turned out to be a really good fig and I've started a bunch of cddg cuttings since then but I would like to know what it is. This problem seems to be getting way out of hand, nowadays when you get a fig there is a very high chance that it isn't right. I've received a few this season that wasn't right, and I don't really blame the people I got them from because that is how they received them. If I share a fig that I have any doubt about I make sure it is known and I explain my reasons.
                  Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Is it possible the fruit looks different under different growing conditions? The picture below is my CdDG from a reliable source who got his cuttings from an even more reliable source last fall. There was just the hint of gray color on fruit and dark red inside. Delicious! But even reliable sources make mistakes. That why it's important to let a tree set fruit for a year or two before sharing cuttings with others. And being honest if we have our doubts about its ID.
                    The pictures of the CdDG fruit on the F4F Varieties website are conspicuous by their absence. At least it seems we can agree on the leaves.
                    This French website posts all different shades of the CdDG. Our’s aren’t too far off. http://figblog.binhoster.com/col-de-dame/
                    Attached Files
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
                    Last edited by Altadena Mara; 08-31-2015, 09:56 PM.
                    Mara, Southern California,
                    Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
                      Rafaelissimmo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mara, I have to say yours and mine look very similar. And my source is just kicking himself insisting what he sent me was the Grise!!

• HarveyC
                      HarveyC commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mara's tree came from me, grown from cuttings I bought from Herman (Vasile). Those cuttings were purchased in a separate transaction from the tree I bought from him (late 2014 vs. late 2013). The fruits from my CdDG tree purchased from Herman are quite dark, I have posted that in a separate thread earlier.

I discussed this with Herman a week or so ago and he things my CdDG fruits look right even though they are darker than his and he thought my climate and caprification could have something to do with the darker color.

I think the source is more important than waiting a year or two to get fruits before sharing or selling cuttings (unless it's a new variety, that's a different story altogether). I've made two know mistakes with cuttings from established trees even though I think I'm really careful with labeling.

Mara, is your tree going to go in the ground?

I talked to Rafael about fruit colors being a bit confusing. My Khurtmani isn't the same color as for Keith back east or Nico in Indonesia and my Lebanese Red isn't the same color as it is for Bass. My CdDN are lighter than year than last year. My De la Reina skin is light even though I'm pretty sure of the source (third had from MP). I think sometimes these figs are just out to mess with our minds....

• DCoonsis
                      DCoonsis commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm wondering could it be Col de Dame Noir? This from Harvey C. on FB.....here's the add: https://www.facebook.com/Figaholics/...type=3&theater

I have Mt. Etna figs that I am very confident about that have a lot of green on them too. I find that if the fruit is heavily shaded it will be partially green even if it is a "black" or "noir" variety. So that's a possible explanation to consider if your figs are greener than they should be.
                    Steve
                    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                    WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
                      Rafaelissimmo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Excellent point Steve!

• Rafaelissimmo
                      Rafaelissimmo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And yes, my fruit was shaded Steve

• Rafaelissimmo
                      Rafaelissimmo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And yes, my fruit was shaded Steve

Originally posted by Rewton View Post
                    I find that if the fruit is heavily shaded it will be partially green even if it is a "black" or "noir" variety. So that's a possible explanation to consider if your figs are greener than they should be.
                    Steve, that's a good point. Thanks. My tree is in full sun, but the leaves are so big, the new emerging figs at the base get full shade. Perhaps if there are figs later on that grow higher up and receive more sun they will be more "grey" looking, at least on the side that gets more sun.
                    The picture of the green and grey CdDG figs at http://figblog.binhoster.com/col-de-dame/ show figs that are half and half. Which half is green and which half is grey isn't consistent in the picture, sometimes the bottom is "grey", sometimes only one side. So some other factor in the environment must be causing it. Sun exposure is a great explanation.
                    Last edited by Altadena Mara; 09-01-2015, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I need to ice my Achilles for a bit and will try to go out later and get samples of CdDB, CdDG, and CdDN fruits and leaves and photograph them. This is a "fig injury", really! It was hurting me some already after driving to Gary's on Saturday, hurt me worse by the time I got home, and then after giving tours of my fig orchard to two friends on Sunday, I was in agony. I've been consulting with Doc Neil on this after having already visited with my primary doctor last week about it and an orthopedic doctor a week or two before that.
                      My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

• Altadena Mara
                        Altadena Mara commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That’s awful about you leg, Harvey. Perhaps you should let the varmints enjoy the figs for a while and rest your leg. The fig trees will always make more figs but you can’t grow another Achilles. Look what happened to the first Achilles when he tried to do too much.
                        Last edited by Altadena Mara; 09-01-2015, 10:55 PM.

Here are leaves from my CdDB, CdDG, and CdDN (in that order, left to right).

My CdDG leaves are the smallest but fruit set is the heaviest by far. This tree is about 3.5 or 4 feet tall, about 5 years old, and presently has about 100 fruits on it and I just picked 5 fruits. My CdDN is about 2.5 years old, been in the ground for 2 years, is about 7 feet tall, has light fruit set, maybe about 10 fruits on it. One newer branch had leaves with no lobes. My CdDG tree was bought from Herman about 23 months ago and got planted in spring of 2014, I believe. It is about 6 feet tall and has a light fruit set. I picked 2 fruits and there are maybe 10 or so that I saw on the tree. My CdDB is not planted in my main fig orchard but near my house. It gets watered about once per week (along with my chestnut orchard) while the other trees in the main fig orchard get watered 4 times per week.
                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
                        Rafaelissimmo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Harvey

Thanks again for your help here. The Grise and Blanc are both 5-lobed, but the Grise has distinct thumbs that point downward and are nearly vertical. My Grise also has this feature. And yet the light fruit!

Thanks Harvey, hope your injury heals quick
                      Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Thanks Harvey for stepping in and commenting here. I was hoping you’d see the thread and say something about what you’d learned about the CdDGs from Herman/Vasile.

Harvey said: “Mara, is your tree going to go in the ground?”
                        I haven’t decided which trees to put in the ground yet and am tasting my way through a lot of different figs toward a decision. Is this a good time of year to move those trees growing out of five gallon pots into the ground?

Comment

• HarveyC
                          HarveyC commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I think October is an ideal time in our (yours, mine) climate to plant figs since the can grow a little during cooler weather and roots can become more established in early spring before hot weather. I think you should plant them all in the ground! Even if you have limited room I think you can just restrict the size of trees.

I'm still puzzled by the appearance of the CdDG fruits but the taste I'm getting from mine are excellent and that's of primary importance to me. All three CdD variants went over extremely well at the gathering at Gary's last weekend.

• Altadena Mara
                          Altadena Mara commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks Harvey for the advice on when to plant figs here. I have a number of trees growing out of their five gallon pots and I'm still trying to figure out where to put them. I started a new thread asking about best locations. There are a few that are mis-labeled (none from you or other reliable sources) so this is still sorting itself out. The nice thing about pots is that the tree will let you know if it's unhappy where it is, and it's easier to move it.

Is there a significant taste difference among the CdD variants? Someone posted that they all taste the same.

Harvey, do you have a picture of a mature cDDn fruit? Any idea what is shown in the original post? Several of us have the same fig labeled as cDDn but to me the shape seems inappropriate.
                        Good luck with the Achilles. Rest and support seems to be the ultimate therapy.
                        Frank Tallahasee 8B
                        North Florida Figs

Comment

• quackmaster
                          quackmaster commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sorry frank, I didn't mean to hijack the thread, it started going a little of course and that is my fault.

• FMD
                          FMD commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not at all, the best threads always veer off a little. Please keep posting.

Thanks Frank. I've been resting and icing and gaining weight the past few days. Here is a couple of photos of CdDN fruits. My friend Don came to Gary's fig gathering last Saturday and brought some CdDN fruits from Andy Marianni's tree (Andy is a well known fruit grower near San Jose) and those fruits were quite a bit larger than mine but a bit less intensely flavored and lighter red but I'm pretty sure our trees came from the same source, Prusch Park, but his tree is much older.
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• FMD
                          FMD commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Well, well, the shape is similar but the color is not.

#18.1 Rafaelissimmo commented:
                        "Harvey: Thanks again for your help here. The Grise and Blanc are both 5-lobed, but the Grise has distinct thumbs that point downward and are nearly vertical. My Grise also has this feature. And yet the light fruit!"

My CdDB has a few leaves that have those thumbs you describe, but they don’t point downward.

Attached Files
                        Last edited by Altadena Mara; 09-02-2015, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Frank I couldn't resist showing you today's breakfast, a Noir and a Blanc (separate trees!)
                          Rafael
                          Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• FMD
                            FMD commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Love it! Gorgeous.

• ofon
                            ofon commented
                            Editing a comment
                            May I ask where you got your CDDN from? My figs are always a medium brown color and it's also only a 2nd year tree. Possible that it's a different variety as plant-creator said he sourced his from Baud.

ofon
                          Sorry, I've had the CDDN for so long, I no longer remember the source. Would you mind posting pictures of yours?
                          Frank Tallahasee 8B
                          North Florida Figs

Comment

Working...
                          X