X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Droop without softening

Is it common for a fruit to start drooping without really softening that much? About half of my Italian Honey figs are drooping without really become as soft as I expect. Three of them so far have actually dropped off without fully softening; when I cut them open, they were ripe enough to eat but were mildly sweet without having that fully developed honey flavor.
    Johnny
    Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Yes, it's common. A lot depends on the variety. I noticed some figs were drooping and cracking, but the skin was tough. The nights have been a few degrees cooler, so I blame it on that. We're back to the higher day/night temps now, so they should ripen properly.
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Thanks, I was worried that there was something wrong with my tree. Would insufficient sun cause the issue too? With the shortening days and lower sun, some of my trees (including the Italian Honey) are getting more shade than they were earlier in the season.
      Johnny
      Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

I would expect that inadequate sun could affect the fig development. Another factor could be young trees, maybe?
        Ed
        SW PA zone 6a

Comment

My Lattarula is doing that, starting to soften now after several days of droop.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
          https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
          SE PA
          Zone 6

Comment

My Italian Honey is doing the same thing. I am attributing it to varietal differences.
            Dale

Comment

I had 2 enormous Stella Breba that slowly drooped and stayed hard for over a month before they turned soft. Some times they just like to tease us.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rhfYeB7ltG76fG1ITNZqo5snJOq2MJyiApkla1vtufCk=w1632-h918-no.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	37901
              Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Working...
              X