X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fig Upside Down Cake

I owe this delicious cake recipie to Kubota1 (Art). Enjoy the pics!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4899.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	37644

Name:	IMG_4917.JPG
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	37645

Name:	IMG_4919.JPG
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	37646
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

On my way Mike, please get the coffee pot going!!!

Comment

Wow! That turned out good.
      Art
      Western Pa -6a

Comment

So nice!! Can I reserve a slice from that dark side? My wife just made a plum cake. She says it's a plum cake, she made it with prunes, but she insists it's a plum cake. I know prunes are dried plums, she knows most folks call it prune cake, and something about prunes are for old folks. I am not going to argue, just going to eat the cake.
        Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

Is it as good as it looks? It has to be!
          Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

And the recipe is? ??????
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• Chrisk
              Chrisk commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome!!!!!!

A fig recipe section would be a great addition to this website Any mods listening?
            Ed
            SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• rusty hooks
              rusty hooks commented
              Editing a comment
              an excellent idea.....Wills?

An left? I think this might be Art's recipe. Art, if it is, let me know, so I can make the proper attribution.

Upside-down Fresh Fig Cake

Time 45 minutes
            Serves 8

Ingredients
            12 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
            ½ cup packed light brown sugar
            2 tablespoons honey
            8 to 10 fresh figs, stems removed, cut in half
            1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
            1½ teaspoons baking powder
            ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
            ¾ cup granulated sugar
            1 teaspoon vanilla extract
            Zest of 1 small lemon
            2 large organic eggs
            ½ cup whole milk

How to make it

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch cake pan with 2-inch sides. Line bottom of the pan with parchment paper and butter the parchment. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat or in the microwave oven, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Stir in the brown sugar and honey until smooth. Pour the sauce into the prepared cake pan. Arrange figs, cut sides down, in concentric circles over the sauce. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat remaining 8 tablespoons butter with sugar, lemon zest and vanilla until lightened in color and texture, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating until well-combined after each addition. Beating on low speed just until combined after each addition, add dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with milk in 2 parts, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Spoon batter evenly over figs.

Bake cake until golden and a skewer inserted into center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Run a thin knife around the sides of the pan to loosen. Transfer cake to a rack and cool in the pan for 50 minutes. Place a serving platter/cake stand on top of the pan and invert the cake. Gently lift off the pan and remove parchment paper. Spoon over the cake, any of the sauce that has run off and serve warm with softly whipped cream (a little Port wine wouldn't hurt either!)
            Dale

Comment

Thank you
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Sorry for the delay with the recipe. This is Art's.

Fig Upside Down Cake

1 1/2 stick of melted butter, mixed with a cup of brown sugar, and pour into the bottom of a greased 9x13 cake pan. Slice figs and lay into brown sugar mixture. Then follow directions for a boxed yellow cake mix and pour over figs. Bake according to cake directions. Flip, cool, and enjoy.
                newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• DBJohnson
                  DBJohnson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds great! I'm thinking replacing the yellow cake mix with a rum cake would be a good choice here.

• Chrisk
                  Chrisk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cool, thanks Mike.
                  Rum cake? yeah mon. Mr Johnson,sounds like a plan, great idea.

• rusty hooks
                  rusty hooks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What a great idea..... We think alike .....

Something from my kitchen earlier today.
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                Oaken Rose, Hillsborough, NC Zone 8a

Comment

• eboone
                  eboone commented
                  Editing a comment
                  and another request for recipe

• Oaken Rose
                  Oaken Rose commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi Ed. So this is a Fig and Goat Cheese tart.
                  First a recipe for the pastry:

2 cups + 2 tbsp flour + some for dusting
                  1/4 cup superfine sugr
                  1tsp fast acting yeast
                  grated zet of 1/2 a lemon
                  2 eggs, beaten
                  5 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temp. cut into 3/4 in. cubes
                  sunflower oil for brushing
                  salt

Place flour, sugar, yeast, zest into a mixer with dough hook. stir on low 1 minute.
                  Add eggs and 1/4 cup water and work a few seconds on low then up the speed to medium for 3 minutes, until the dough comes together.
                  Add 1/8 tsp salt and the butter, a few cubes at a time, until it melts into the dough
                  Continue kneading on medium for about 10 minutes until dough is smooth, elastic and shiny.
                  Place the dough in a large bowl and brush with sunflower oil, cover with plastic wrap, and leave in the fridge for at least half a day.

For the rest:

5 oz goat cheese
                  2/3 cup confectioners sugar
                  1/2 tsp grated orange zest
                  1 tbsp chopped thyme plus extra leaves to garnish
                  2 eggs beaten
                  1 cup ground almonds
                  1 1/3 lbs figs cut in half
                  1 tbsp superfine sugar
                  1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice

Place goat cheese in a bowl with 2 tsp confectioners sugar, the orange zest, thyme, and 3/4 of the beaten eggs
                  Whisk until smooth and then stir in the almonds. Mix until smooth
                  Flour a work space and roll the pastry into a square 1/4 in. thick
                  Line a baking sheet with parchment and place the pastry on it.
                  Then spread the goat cheese mixture on top, leaving a border. Brush the remaining egg over the border.
                  Place figs on top. Sprinkle the superfine sugar over the figs, cover the tart with aluminum foil, and set aside in a warm place for 20 minutes.
                  Preheat oven to 375. Remove foil and bake for 30 minutes
                  Whisk the remaining confectioners sugar with the lemon juice to make an "icing" or a glaze. Drizzle the glaze over the tart with a spoon. garnish with thyme.

We found this to be even better the next day and the day after that.

• rusty hooks
                  rusty hooks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My mouth watereth....seriously

Wow, sounds as good as it looks - thanks for the recipe Oaken Rose. Still think the mods need to set aside a recipe section to save these for future use.
                Ed
                SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Here's my high-end upside down cake. Made with Genovese Nero, I 258, Barnisotte, & Preto figs.
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                  Art
                  Western Pa -6a

Comment

Working...
                  X