X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fig drying question

I managed to pick extra several figs today( besides the ones we ate ), 4 Mt Etna types and a Lattarulla, and I have wanted to experiment with drying figs since starting this fig growing passion. I have an American Harvest dehydrator with a wide range of temp settings - anyone have experience with what temps work best? (they are on 105 degrees the past 2 hrs)
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

I've used no heat to dry mine. I'd use the minimum setting. I don't like the cooked flavors that develop with heated drying.
    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

I have an American Harvester also. I usually use the medium to lower settings.Don't know if it's right but it's what I do.
      Pine Prairie, LA 8B

Comment

I am reminded of descriptions by my father of tomatoes drying in the sun on screens set up in the yard, and this in Columbiana County, Ohio.
        Dale

Comment

I dehydrate mine at 145 degrees and it takes roughly 6 to 8 hrs to dehydrate. Depending on the size of the figs. You just have to start checking on them at that point. Dehydrating is one of my wife's favorite things to do with them. We just did some today.
          Attached Files
          Art
          Western Pa -6a

Comment

for years I dried everything "under the sun" in one of these...quite a number of years ago

http://www.de12ambachten.nl/eng-gree...3%20sundr.html

although this one has a few upgrades...the clear and black tube stack to accelerate air flow...insulation and an offset baffle to redirect airflow

in the California sun...worked like a charm...a little too much at times....an automatic, thermostatically operated damper to cool things off would also make a nice addition

I have seen 180 degrees in mine mid afternoon...attempts were made to keep it around 125-150

Ed....Go Redland
            Last edited by rusty hooks; 08-30-2015, 02:47 PM.
            Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Thanks for all of the info. Are there fig types that are worse to do this with - I was thinking that my large moist figs like Atreano would take forever to dry.
              Ed
              SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• kubota1
                kubota1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ed, Actually I like dehydrating those large white figs. I thought the same as you. But they come out very good.

My Nesco American Harvest has a setting of 135 degrees for fruits and vegetables which is what I use for figs.
              Jennings, Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9a

Comment

My Zio take plastic under the car hood work on engine light with extension cord and I think 60watt bulb $7.00 Home Depot. Put light on and lean upward from bottom right in oven with oven off and extension cord out of very top of stove door. Is just enough room to keep heat in and change air. Then put fig on oven racks. No pan or foil. Just in rack. Leave for 24 hour or until you prefer. We also make dehydrate steak tis way too. Is very cheap and effective
                Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Working...
                X