X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug-A-Salt

Well, I guess I have to admit I have no compassion whatsoever for bugs. None. I enjoy photographing them and I do appreciate my beneficials but when they are doing anything that crosses my imaginary line between friend and foe (defined as anything that bites or stings me or touches my figs, etc.) I'm quite happy to stomp them or smash them with one of my many fly swatters. I used to carry spiders outside and release them unharmed until I was subject to a couple rather nasty bites and subsequently learned enough about our local spiders to understand there are far more capable of causing me discomfort them I was lead to believe.

I bought this odd weapon/toy (Bug - A - Salt 2.0) that looks like a child's squirt gun on steroids for around $50. It fires regular table salt at insects and and I hoped to use it to kill brown wasps - which it does -- but a warning here -- it is not effective against nests; you will get stung if you attack anything more then a single wasp at a time. Believe me --- I have a thick paste of baking soda on my stomach currently as I got stung this AM because I got too @@@@y and fired on a brown wasp nest. Bad idea.

I have used this new toy to shoot hard to reach flies and stink bugs and have been quite happy with the Bug-A-Salt so far.

AND - I have found a new use for this thing that really makes the $50 I spent on it worth the money: shooting slugs with salt!!

Firing salt into a nasty little slug's body and watching it fall and struggle as the salt desiccates the little bas&^%d's innards so it can no longer leave slime trails or use it's radula to damage my ripe figs. No more slime trails or getting bit while out hunting slugs at night. No more spreading things to help get rid of or at least discourage these darn shell-less snails. No more hard to remove slime on me or my figs!! Now their slime trails are their death trails. Ahhh hahahaha!!!

I love this "gun" thing so I thought I'd pass along my recommendation. I have only fired it 50 times so far which isn't even a full "magazine" of salt, but it has been fun and useful. It is easy to operate and uses only salt -- NO BATTERIES!! It is so cheap to use (compared, say, to using .22 caliber shot shells) that I think every gardner should consider one.

It is true I'm not thrilled to add salt to my soil but the amounts we're talking about here are minimal. In my opinion this toy is actually a useful tool. The price may seem high but it does seem to be built well. Good luck -- wear safety glasses.

Do they have a bigger model for squirrels?
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• jkuo
      jkuo commented
      Editing a comment
      You'd have to be a squirrel hunting ninja to get close enough to hit it with a salt rifle (pun intended).

The bigger model is hand loaded rock salt in 3 inch magnums loaded into a 12 gauge shot gun.
    I used my bug a salt again today and like it even better.

Comment

Rubbing alcohol removes slug slime without a second rinse.
      Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• noss
        noss commented
        Editing a comment
        Bob! Thanks so much for letting us know about the alcohol. I've never thought of using that for that slime that refuses to come off of shoes, bare feet (OH, ICK!) and whatever else it gets on. Makes me nauseated just to think about it.

noss

Welcome to the Bug-a-Salt coalition Michael! I love mine, great fun to use one instead of most anything else.
      Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
      Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• noss
        noss commented
        Editing a comment
        Doesn't the salt splatter the flies and bugs?

I once was playing with a rubber band paper clip slingshot and a huge house fly landed in some ivy. I shot the paper clip into the ivy, not knowing exactly where the fly was and hit it dead center and it splattered back all over me and I was so sick and still feel that same nausea when I talk about it.

thx Bob
      thx Calvin. I have been killing things left and right. Mine is getting a bit harder to pump but I love this thing!

Comment

I end up making my arm sore and have to leave it alone for awhile. Cup wasps are fun, I need to finally get one on the fly though.
        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

I think as far as a bug skeet shooter goes I suck as I have yet to hit anything on the wing - so to speak.

Comment

Would it kill a large grasshopper? I have enough for a banquet of bug eaters.
            Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Joss,
              No splatter. Salt just seems to be just enough to kill but not enough to tear apart.
              Bob,
              I doubt it would work on a big grasshopper as their exoskeleton is pretty thick. Catch them - twist their heads and pull out internal organs - remove wings - fry in sesame seed oil and eat over rice. mmm mm mmm

Comment

just what I needed this am....I'm still dealing with deer.....I wonder if....nah

whats the range on that thing Michael?....
                Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

rusty - the range is only a few inches. Sorry for the late reply.

Comment

Working...
                  X