X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian 258

First fig from
    zone5figger’s tree. Skin texture was outstanding. Sweet and very jammy. Like a dried fig. Seems nearly indistinguishable from Black Madeira but as others have pointed out, it doesn’t split. And handles cold temperatures fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	380168Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	380169

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 8 photos.

Thanks for the mouth-watering photos -- it looks delicious!
    Christine (Waddell, AZ Zone 9b) Wishlist: All my fig wishes have been fulfilled by OurFigs members. Thank you!

Comment

• ramv
      ramv commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your comment. This is an outstanding fig.

Very nice, thanks for sharing.
    Central Florida zone 9b
    Wish List NSdC

Comment

Beautiful fig.

Comment

Wow 👍🏻
        Iowa Z5

Comment

whow!... That look's good.
          Rio
          Montreal Canada Zone 5

Comment

The fig looks great and it’s so late in the season already, congrats! I foresee this one reaching Black Madeira level prices very soon
            Nyc zone 7b Wish List: For everyone’s cuttings to root!

Comment

• ramv
              ramv commented
              Editing a comment
              It actually used to sell for much much more. I believe it still holds the record for most expensive fig tree ever sold on ebay. ($1500)

• fettuccine
              fettuccine commented
              Editing a comment
              Holy crap!! I’m so glad it’s not in the thousands anymore

Very ripe soft large irresistible yummy ..........looking FIG !
            It looks as good as my Black Madeira 😉
            Looking for De La Gloria.Your best teacher is your last mistake !

Comment

Ram,
              It definitely splits in heavy rain. At least half of my crop this year split. Still I think it's a better choice than BM here.
              Zone 7A - Philadelphia
              Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Comment

• Bren55
                Bren55 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Ross when did yours ripen, just hoping my few figs I left on have time here to ripen on a first yr tree that's 7 ft. and still putting on figs.

• ross
                ross commented
                Editing a comment
                Bren55 They started Sept 1st with a headstart. They'll finish on the 15th.pretty much on the 45 day mark.

• Bren55
                Bren55 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Ross

How you will protect?

Comment

Awesome looking fig. Can’t wait till mine grows up. I love the inside

Comment

Nearly all of mine split this year and now belong to the honey bees.

Socorrow Black is somewhat similar, earlier, and splitting was only one or two among a couple plants.

Comment

Looks delicious
                    Brenda East Tn. Zone 6B

Comment

Beautiful fig!

Comment

Congrats on a nice fig. Thanks for sharing your pictures.
                        Leon-Albuquerque, NM Zone 7b

Comment

That’s one nice looking fruit

Comment

Originally posted by ramv View Post
                            Seems nearly indistinguishable from Black Madeira....
                            I'm noticing that also now with cooler temps in Oct.

Preto, Black Madeira, and I258 very similar at this time of year, all of them still good but not outstanding like they were in the hot days of Sept.
                            Conrad, SoCal zone 10
                            Wish List: More Land

Comment

Looks perfect. I am from Chicago, so based on recommendations, I will get i-258. Not sure about BM, but will try it out later. New to this world of figs. I thought there was only 1 kind of fig, hahaha, I really did...until I saw Ross's youtube channel. Awesome pics, thanks for sharing
                              Shwet from Chicago, IL.
                              Zone 5A

Comment

Glad you got a nice example to sample, Ram. Well done! Let me know if I can help with any cuttings this fall, I know they will prosper in your care.
                                Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
                                Wishlist- earliest maincrop varieties

Comment

• ramv
                                  ramv commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Thanks Jesse!

First year fig grower. I have mine in a greenhouse here near Chatt. Tn. I have two BM that are very young, and going to bring INTO house this winter to make sure they don't die. Trying to figure a good cheap way to Heat Greenhouse when it gets to cold here.
                                Rossville,Ga.
                                Wishlist Cravens Craven

Comment

• ramv
                                  ramv commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  You can let them go dormant in an unheated garage.

woodstove
                                Z8A NC SANDHILLS

WISH LIST ZAFFIRO, THERMOLITO

Comment

• eboone
                                  eboone commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Also, we have wood here in the East.

• YATAMA
                                  YATAMA commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  for a small greenhouse I suspect a small soapstone type room heater woodstove fired with maybe 4 kilos of hardwood starting before dark and heating a big container of water on top as additional heat storage might keep temps above fig killing levels all night and could be refueled next morning for cold days. City dwellers may not have easy access to free logs but shipping pallets are hardwood, easy to tear apart and often available free,as is much combustable stuff available to scrounge from garbage landfill sites

• crademan
                                  crademan commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  The laws regarding burning wood in the south east and eastern coastal states are as different from those of central AZ as are our annual rainfalls, soils, and climate types.

P.S. AZ's electric utilities want to stop buying electricity from a Navajo Nation coal burning power plant because it costs $130-$150 million per year more to burn coal than to use other fuels to generate power. https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...-buy-its-power

Wow Great tasty fig. Can't wait for mine to fruit! 2 more years to go. I got mine from cuttings.
                                David
                                Los Angeles CA zone 10B
                                Want list: campaniere Azores Dark

Comment

I've got a young I-258 with five figs that I'm hoping will still ripen. They've been sitting almost full grown for about a month now. I can only hope they come out looking as good as the photos above.
                                  Zone 7B/8A Wake Forest, NC. Wish list - 1. To stop murdering fig cuttings. 2. To find the biggest, juiciest, cold hardiest, most delicious common fig in the world! (and not murder it)

Comment

ramv - That makes me sad... For me... I'm happy for you... That looks awesome! Mine grew to over 6' this year but no fruit came early enough to ripen... Fingers crossed for next year....

Nice looking fig my friend! I won't rest until I taste one of these figs fully ripened.... Well done
                                    Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

• zone5figger
                                      zone5figger commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Took mine 3 years to ripen fruit, definantly worth the wait! One thing that I think can help speed fruit set and therefore ripening is preserving as many terminal buds as possible when pruning.

I'm trying to be patient; I have my first I258 ripening now on a 1st year tree. It is soft but not really soft, and the ostiole hasn't opened up at all. I think I'll give it a few more days..... It is looking like it might actually be an I258; you just never know what to expect these days from purchased cuttings.
                                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
                                    Los Angeles / Zone 10b
                                    Wishlist: BNR, Lampeira Prusch, Planera, Calderona, De la Roca

Comment

Working...
                                    X