X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sodus Sicilian main crop

This variety is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It doesn't split or sour in rain, is very hardy (as documented), and best of all is the flavor. Sodus Sicilian has a very complex flavor and starts out as a nice peach flavor then finishes as a rich caramel. I've had this variety for two years and it is pretty vigorous and productive.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Nice looking fig Bill.
    Art
    Western Pa -6a

Comment

Bill, have you trialed it in-ground there? The fruit looks very tasty.
      Steve
      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
      WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

Looks like a great fig Bill!
        London, ON, Canada zone 6a

Comment

Peach with a caramel finish sounds pretty good.
          Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Looking good, Bill. Looks similar to EBT, with a darker red interior. Given your review and the motherplants reputed cold hardiness, this one might be going on my wishlist!
            Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
            Wishlist- earliest maincrop varieties

Comment

Looking good, Bill. Jesse beat me to it, Nick thinks it might be an EBT too.
              https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
              SE PA
              Zone 6

Comment

• Bigbill
                Bigbill commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm not so sure. It is definitely different from my LaRadek EBT. I will have post them side by side since I have both.

After seeing my mother tree this year and others posting pics of EBT, I have no clue what this fig is. Perhaps a second cousin to EBT though. My tree went nuts this year and is huge now and putting out a lot of very good figs. I find that wasps and bugs and birds seem to be more attracted to these than any other fig, perhaps due to a higher sugar content? It is very unique and tastes VERY good in greek yogurt! The mother tree in Sodus was cut wayyy back last fall and is recouping slowly this year. The cold summer in Sodus hasn't done it any favors.
              Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
              Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

Comment

• Kelby
                Kelby commented
                Editing a comment
                I will try and take some pictures of yours today and compare them to my English brown turkey varieties.

Looking where the town of Sodus is on the map I wonder how much Lake Ontario acts as a buffer from those cold winter winds out of the NE?? I bet they get a lot of snow there too.
              London, ON, Canada zone 6a

Comment

• Greenguy
                Greenguy commented
                Editing a comment
                I live near there. It is zone six but you will never feel a colder wind than what comes off these lakes. Will wind burn your face.

Tyler, I think you are right. On the hardiness zone map, sodus bay seems to be 6b. No doubt, the lake must help out. I've been there a few times (not in winter) but the winds can be pretty brutal there.

Comment

Please consider me if cuttings are available this fall.
                Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
                Wishlist- earliest maincrop varieties

Comment

Yep, that's a good looking fig with some nice attributes. I wood surely like to try it for a step-over up here. Any chance we can work out a trade for layers next summer?
                  Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                  Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Here are some pictures I took today while fig raiding. This is off one of the first generation plants. I picked about six or seven of these today, they're quite delicious.

Leaves do not seem to resemble any of the English Brown Turkey variants I have, though the fruit is similar. Given how hard it is to propagate this variety, perhaps it is a relative of Hanc's English Brown Turkey? If I recall that may actually have been a Southern Brown Turkey.

I'm no good at pinning down flavors, but it's definitely a keeper for those who have it. Hopefully I will become one of those soon!
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
                    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
                    SE PA
                    Zone 6

Comment

That’s crazy I grew up in that part of NY and never knew we could grow figs. For those asking about the growing zone we have many microclimates because Lake Onatario never freezes over it keeps us warmer during the winter and cooler during the summer but also it holds back the first frosts of fall as well as prevents trees from breaking dormancy early and getting damaged by another freeze. The whole area is filled with apple orchards and vineyards because of this.
                      This is my first year growing figs
                      wishlist: that I can keep the fig trees I have alive... eventually I-258

Comment

I now have a few rooted Sodus Sicilian cuttings and am getting excited about it.
                        Can someone confirm that it is an English Brown Turkey type?
                        Also, how does the taste differ from other EBT types such as Bayernfeige Violetta, LaRadek, Olympian etc? Is it significantly different/better?

Comment

Working...
                        X