X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosa Esmaralda

I thought it was fully ripe but I should give it more time. Still very sweet and tasty. Keeper for sure. And it has a perfectly closed eye.

You are kicking butt with lots of new varieties!

Comment

• Fig-Doctor
      Fig-Doctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I just like to leave some informations on this forum so someone may get Idea of each fig. And a tiny bit little show off? LOL

• ross
      ross commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree.

I got a freshly rooted cutting as part of a trade a couple of months ago, but managed to kill it the very first time I added water to the cup. I was intrigued enough by Karla's (Gardencrochet) statement that it was one of her favorite figs that I bought a couple of cuttings on figbid a couple of weeks ago to replace it, and so hopefully will get a chance to taste for my self in a couple seasons.

Edit: This post made me go out and check the rooting bin, and one of the cuttings has a few 2" long roots already, so time to pot it up and go through the real struggle of keeping it alive (ie don't drown it) until it has a strong root system. If I can get this one established before 'winter' hits San Diego in a couple of months, I may even get to taste it next year!
    Richard - San Diego - Zone 10a : Growing: List of Plants
    Want: Cavaliere, Cosme Manyo

Comment

• Fig-Doctor
      Fig-Doctor commented
      Editing a comment
      I have more fruits on the tree. I have a good feeling about this fig. It will be very very good fig if I let it hang couple of more days from this stage. We will see.

• ZomVee
      ZomVee commented
      Editing a comment
      I killed my Rosa Esmeralda cuttings....0/2 attempts on the fig. So I’m rooting for your rooting, maybe we could trade in the future.

is this a common fig? anything unique about its flavor besides
    very sweet?
    Please subscribe to my you tube channel all about figs and fruit trees thank you! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWE...Wo1wPLKRSfVZOg

Comment

I was thinking the same thing Seattlefiggirl

Comment

Seattlefiggirl Yes, it’s a common type fig, Gardencrochet says it’s one of her favorites.
        Tom V. from San Diego, Ca.🇺🇸

Comment

I am sure it is a common fig since I don’t have fig wasps at my area. It is not exactly berry type. It has a unique taste. Keeper for sure!

Comment

It is common. I got mine from Karla. She holds it in high regard.

Comment

Karla and Oz, Gardencrochet

Comment

I’m curious to see how this one compares to the rest. It looks delicious.
                Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

Looks really good but I think there's a typo. Isnt it "Rosa Esmeralda"? https://www.figdatabase.com/variety-...rosa-esmeralda
                  Last edited by Rigo007; 05-02-2019, 09:34 AM.
                  South Florida - 10b

Comment

• ZomVee
                    ZomVee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ⬆️😂😂😂😂

• Rigo007
                    Rigo007 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Never, I'm too humble for such things. I see from this post it has already been written 2 different ways and because I know Spanish, I figured it was a typo. Thanks for the "big man" labeling. I'm starting off the day good now 🥳

• Rigo007
                    Rigo007 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I love you two, you're funny. Specially the zombie who hasn't learned his lesson it seems. 😂🤣

Rosa Esmeralda

Comment

Bumping this to ask: how early is this one? I had a cutting I got from gardencrochet, it rooted right away, but then the gnats got it and I couldn’t save it. I’m thinking about getting a couple more cuttings but if it’s super late (by Oregon standards) it’s probably not worth my time/money.
                    Willamette Valley Oregon, zone 8b. WL: zaffiro, Black Tuscan, rodgrod, campaniere, CLBC, de la Gloria, thermalito, del sen juame gran, Sangue dolce, St Martin, Jack Lily, vincenzo, verdolino, hmadi, Syrian dark, raasti

Comment

Had a hard time rooting these, they budding easily without root growth. But finally I have one rooting nicely. Fingers crossed knocking on wood.
                      San Francisco Bay Area CA Zone 9b
                      WL: Burgan Unkn, Vincenzo, Azores Dark, Madeira Island Black

Comment

• ZomVee
                        ZomVee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good luck!

• Foodtreefield
                        Foodtreefield commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Bought cuttings of this one and they failed. Seeing this maybe I should try again. Very worth it. Maybe this one is not so easy. Yes, Good luck.

I bought one cutting of this from Gardencrochet over the summer and it rooted right away.... and then the gnats happened.

So I replaced it with a set of 4 from their website and holy crap. One of the four I got today was the size of a freaking relay baton. I really hope I can get one of these to take.
                      Willamette Valley Oregon, zone 8b. WL: zaffiro, Black Tuscan, rodgrod, campaniere, CLBC, de la Gloria, thermalito, del sen juame gran, Sangue dolce, St Martin, Jack Lily, vincenzo, verdolino, hmadi, Syrian dark, raasti

Comment

This is one of my more recent rooting exploits. Happy to say that all 3 of mine rooted.

Edit: Note to a mod if they see this, title should be edited to fix the name to EsmEralda. Cheers, guys.
                        Attached Files
                        -Luke S. at Keesler AFB, 9a
                        -SAH Dad, gardener, fan of comedy, philosophy, and the deep dive on YouTube
                        -W/L: JN, CCN, Thermalito

Comment

I rooted 2. 1 started to fail but i salvaged it by inarch grafting. It ripened a few early fruit 2 months ago but now has several coming on line. Will post photos soon. They started to turn color this week.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• DerekWatts
                            DerekWatts commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Could you explain a little bit more about using inarch grafting to save a sick cutting?

Grafting Rooted Rootstock into the side of your cutting, leaving the bottom of the cutting that is rooting alone or bypassing any root rot (hopefully there's no internal rot)

If it takes, you will have 2 root systems to feed your cutting. Its a little late for me to go check the yard but I pulled these photo diagrams from online . The first shows a wedge point (new or desired rootstock) being side grafted into the Scion (in this case something with roots already). When it heals, you end up with 2 root systems and a boost for your tree. I have a few mango trees like that. Or you can cut away the old root system (what I ended up doing for Rosa Esmeralda when I suspected the roots were no good) once the graft heals and this is called an approach graft (second diagram).

Hope this helps
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X